Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
Encinitas
My father now at 35% vital lung capacity will have a Trilogy 100 Vent tray attached to his wheelchair this week. He has a lot of anxiety about not being able to maneuver his wheelchair within the ramp van with this extended piece of equipment and the attendant control on the back ofo the wheelchair. Would appreciate any advice you can give on how one maneuvers within ramp van with these attachments. Thank you Theresa:?:

Hi Theresa, My husband has a Trilogy 100 Vent attached to the back of his wheelchair with straps. He couldn't get the vent tray because his chair telescopes so they just strapped it on. It works great for him, and it has a very small footprint so getting into our rear entry ramp van is a breeze. Do you have a side entry van? It might be a tight fit with a side entry so do check out the measurements of the tray. He might not even need a tray if you're willing to try just the straps. They are very sturdy and much cheaper than the tray. The vent filter is a little tricky to get out and wash but not impossible. Good luck! -Diane

Diane, are you referring to the actual travel case they sell for it, or are you just using some homemade straps and using the carry handle?

Brian, there are webbing straps on the back of our carrying case that have buckles with "teeth". It attaches and detaches from the back of the chair very easily and it's very secure. --Diane

Brian, my case has some grommets on small flaps. My RT suggested using 4 carabiners (spring hooks) to attach it to the back of my chair. 2 large ones are used on the push handles of the PWC and they are attached to 2 smaller ones that are attached to the case. This allows for better articulation so that the cHair can continue to be fully reclined. Much easier to use in a side entry van as I've heard that it's almost impossible to make the turn with the vent tray attached. Also a much cheaper solution. ;-)

Dear Diane and Deb: Thank you so much for these great simple solutions to attaching the Trilogy 100 vent to wheelchair. Dad had vent tray attached and all seemed well in the side entry Ramp Van when he wore his sandals. When he wore his shoes...which extended about 2 inches beyond foot rest on wheelchair was VERY DIFFICULT for dad to maneuver in van. After reading your entries I believe it would be worthwhile to have vent tray removed and simply rely on carabiners or mesh straps. Thank you so much. It is incredibly helpful to know how another ALS victim has managed to maneuver with Trilogy 100 in a Ramp Van. Theresa (daugher of ALS patient)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back