Reason
Loved one DX
Country
CA
State
Province
City
City
I want to find a keyboard that is compatible with an Apple for someone who is losing the ability to type. Something she can still use with a non-dominant hand that has larger figures. She is also losing her ability to speak. We live far apart and can only get together on the phone which is becoming more difficult because of her slurred speach. She can no longer text and just uses her home (large) phone. She is a writer and wants to complete her book but it's getting hard for her. Does anyone have any advice?

Maybe a plastic or metal plate with holes above the keyboard !

tasz.jpg

Nikola

Have you tried a virtual/on-screen keyboard? If the person can use a mouse, they can type with an on-screen keyboard.

I think a physical keyboard replacement is going to be hard to find especially for a Mac. Usually people go to on screen alternatives as rosec points out. A headmouse works very well for many if you still have some neck and head control when it becomes to hard to use a normal mouse. For a Mac take a look at the Headmouse Extreme. Check your local ALS Association and MDA loan closet. And also take a look at the Dasher typing alternative program. This can be MUCH faster than an on screen keyboard.

If she is losing ability to type and speak, now is the time to get a dedicated AAC device.

my husband uses a Smart Nav and Dasher and types on an online keyboard with a infared pointer from his hat. no hands necessary--only has to be able to control his head slightly. VEry easy and cool! he can also have the computer say what he types--I am not sure what that program is called.

He is actually faster now than before ALS...

I just tried a bunch of alternative devices, and the head mouse with on-screen typing is great.
Eye gaze is even cooler.

Can't tell for sure, but it looks like you are in Canada... These devices could be mostly covered, check with your ALS Centre on that.

There is no shortage of options for a Mac user. For the short term, keyboards with large keys are available. Longer term, she can use a keyboard with a mouthstick, a foot mouse, a virtual keyboard (KeyStrokes) with or without switch software (SwitchXS) or Web-based keyboards like Dasher with any switch, a head mouse or an iPad with a mouthstick. Fentek, RJ Cooper and atmac.org are places to start. And of course the Apple OS has the "read back input" capability built in, along with options like higher-contrast, bigger cursors to make input easier when keyboarding is difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back