Luke

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
Unspecified
City
Unspecified
I'm hardly ready to make this kind of post, but I can't deny it any longer - the foot drop is worsening by the month and I'm really starting to feel it now. My walk has turned into more of a high-stepping march and it's really wearing me out. No tripping and falling yet, but I don't think I should wait until it comes to that to take action. I clicked through some old AFO posts before writing this, but I'm afraid I'm such a newbie to this stuff that most of them were over my head. My basic questions are these: Are they soft like fabric or rigid like plastic? How visible / obvious are they to others? Can I wear them comfortably and discretely with normal shoes, socks, pants? I'm not sure I'm quite ready to use them, but when I get over myself and take the next step, I want to be educated. Thanks all.

Luke,

Sounds like we're in the same spot. In fact, I recently tried a tensor bandage to "hold it together"- but did not work. I am also researching - found a hard plastic kind and a lace up boot kind... YIKES ... then I stopped looking. Still gimping about... Guess I'm not over myself either!

Well, perhaps we can compare notes as we both learn more.

Talk to your clinic for an appt/prescription for an AFO... the Orthotic folks are the experts and will customize it to your needs.

I decided there was no hiding mine, so I chose one that was purple with constellations on it. It was longer to help my weak knee, formed to my leg, plastic. I almost went with tweety bird...

My first was a hard plastic one that was custom molded to my leg. It did the trick but was terribly uncomfortable in our hot and humid weather. I had given up driving by then(R foot) but would have been unable to push the gas pedal while wearing it. Our local Prosthetics shop made it with a script from the doc. Insurance paid for it. (a bargain compared to the potential cost of a nasty fall) Some are able to have this one hinged with some success. My second set...carbon fiber for the footplate with straps and Velcro. These were much less cumbersome and very light weight. The footplate can be trimmed to fit but you do usually need a shoe that is a bit deeper and about a half size larger than you would normally wear. You also need to be able to remove the footbed liner from the shoe. The new balance brand of athletic shoe works well for some of us.

I think Rose and Barryg and msPie had photos of theirs. I believe Sequoia was happy with her Blue Rockers. Use your search or check out their albums. And of course don't forget Mr Go O Gle for photos and more info.

These are often so effective that some folks use them without a cane initially.

I recently recieved some of the carbon fiber afo's and so glad I did. I am much safer walking around the house and they are light wt and as far as the shoes I am using the same size i normally wear.

I have a picture of what my carbon fiber AFOs look like in my Grand Rapids album on my profile. They make walking much easier. They're light weight, aren't noticeable under pants, and I wear them with regular Oxford type shoes.

Great stuff, everyone. This gives me something to discuss at my next follow-up. THank you kindly.

We often think our struggles go unnoticed. Your high step marching is hardly discrete, so get over yourself and get the AFO. Carbon fiber AFO and black socks are nearly invisible and walking is a greatly improved. They are springy and make stairs funky. Sooner is better.

Luke, I would just call your doc and ask for a prescription and referral... why wait? These take time to make, as they're custom. I have an appt next Wed for new ones, and since I'm sort of homebound right now (no handicap van), they're coming here.

as far as discreet goes, i wore legging out and black ankle boots(flats) with my afos on the outside and people thought they were some steampunk boots! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back