Diagnosis
11/2008
Country
US
State
MI
City
White Pine
Hi, Does anyone have any tips, tricks for oral care? My son can no longer rinse his mouth and has trouble with gagging when we brush his teeth. We use a suction during the process but getting his mouth clean and fresh is very frustrating for him. Any suggestions?

We used an Oral B electric toothbrush and a Reach flosser. Have your son lean slightly forward while you are brushing. Be sure to use very little toothpaste, too. A water pick on low setting with the suction machine will keep him from choking on it. If that doesn't work, try the dental wipes and the flosser. (we had those on standby for later). Brushing and flossing was one of the longest tasks of our day, and Terry liked it done morning and night!

Thanks for asking (and answering) this question. I've been wondering the same!

We did and used what Missy has suggested. Oral care is so very important and integral in keeping infection away. It did take a long time morning and night and after lunch too! The sponge swabs work well to start with. Take care. Yasmin.

Thanks for this post. I am having trouble spitting when I brush. Insurance has denied suction right now. Since we own a funeral home, I am using a manual aspirator that works pretty well suctioning out my mouth.

Thanks, we'll try your suggestions. I'll let you know what worked for him.

Thanks for the tips, we needed these!

Jen

we also use the things that Missy mentioned, and also a tongue scrapper. Since hubby can not rinse well, the scrapper gets all the crud off his tongue and makes his breath better!

Barbie, where do I get a tongue scraper. Is that what it is called?

it is a tongue scrapper--picked it up at either walgreens or walmart i am sure. it is an oval shaped, flat plastic thing with a handle. it slips in the mouth and you can gently scrape the tongue. we dont go back too far or he gags-- one of those things that has been around for a long time and no many people use!

Thank you, Barbie.

Hey "ALSmom", thanks very much for asking this question in this forum. Actually one of my friend is also having this particular problem and i was also thinking to post this question in this forum, but you did it... :)

My dentist recommends an electric toothbrush and a water pic if flossing is a problem. I use my water pic at the highest setting with the most effective attachment. He said it's as good as flossing.

marta, we have a water pic too--but I hate to use it. because of my husbby limited mobility he cant lean over the sink to let the water flow out , so we are both in th shower, i s tand behind the curtain to keep the spit form hitting me in the eyes, he chokes, and usually the cord gets tugged and the whole darn thing ends up onthe floor! it would probably win money in america's Funniest home videos TV show! (especially the time he had me put mouth wash in it and he foamed up like a mad dog)

Poor Barbie and Hub! I understand why you'd dislike it. What an ordeal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back