Diagnosis
02/2012
Country
US
State
OR
City
Roseburg
I'm considered "service connected @ 100% disability". I'm looking for a power chair with seat elevation, power tilt & recline and power leg elevation.

Anyone know what the VA will cover and what items I'll have to pay for?

They're covering it all 100% for my dad. Order went in from the PT 3 weeks ago, custom fitting was done in our home by Permobil rep this week and they said it should be here in 2 weeks. We did need to see the physical therapist on a referral by his primary dr to get the ball rolling.

They will probably get you a Permobile C400. The prosthetics dept at the VA Medical Center will handle it. These folks are your BEST friends when it comes to getting any equipment. Bring them some cookies or something good to eat so they remember you. Also, get started on the Van NOW!

Yep, I slacked on the van. Was on my to-do list today, but we spent all day in ER instead :(

Call a mobility dealer and they will do all the work for you! They want that big commission!

Thank you both for your quick replies. What a relief. A woman in my ALS support group got her C300 through Medicare for another disease and was then diagnosed with ALS (like she didn't have enough trouble with her first disease). Besides Medicare, she had supplemental insurance and still wound up paying several thousand dollars for functions not covered.

Make sure you get a chair with the elevate feature.

That was on the top of my list. I enjoy cooking and that extra 8" will make more counter and cabinet available.

And that was an item not covered by Medicare. Go figure.

VA got my husband a power chair. The process was long!

I'm sorry the process was long for you, Kiss. Not sure why ours is going so fast, but I'm grateful.

Peacola, there was one feature (my brain is apprently dead and I can't remember which one) that the factory rep said might be an issue for VA approval, but I had asked the ALS neurologist's nurse to send me an e-mail, detailing the specific features Dad needed (the works). When I showed the rep, he was thrilled. He had me forward him the e-mail and said it would help him get the VA approval.

Elevate is not covered by Medicare. However, if you can afford it, it will become a very valuable feature when you progress to the stage of not being able to easily stand. Raising yourself with the chair, you can much easier extend your legs down and lock your knees to stand, even when your legs are unable to raise you up. It's much, much more than reaching the top cabinets! I never imagined how valuable this feature would be.

sadiemae- good idea on the cookies!

-Tom

I know. I've run out of chairs I can get up from. Using the seat of my walker (24") and the bed. They should be shipping a lift chair I ordered on my own dime. Just found out that the M400 elevates 10" as opposed to the M300's 8".

Peacola, Medicare will pay a portion of the cost of a lift chair if your doc writes a prescription.
Bed risers allowed me to continue getting up from our sofas for many additional months

The lift chair I ordered also reclines to a zero gravity position which will help with leg swelling. The VA only offered lift chair devices but Medicare offered to compensate for the value of the lift mechanism itself but I was told I blew that by having a manual wheelchair.

VA Tampa gave us the world's best C400 fully equipped totally free in a matter of weeks, long before it was actually "needed."

God sent, for sure.

Get a ROHO seat cushion with variable air cushions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back