04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Hi everyone
My sister (recently diagnosed most of her issues so far are upper extremity and her dominant hand is most affected at this point) is asking for work around solutions for 1. cutting her food and 2. alternatives for traditional scissors.

She just started at ALS clinic and is going to check with them
I have found mention of tabletop scissors and a rocking knife. also suggested using a gift wrap cutter in place of scissors for some tasks.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thank you all so much

While Bob had strength enough to eat by himself, he used an ulu knife - the rocking knife. There are also sponge like handles you can put around utensil handles and it makes it easier to hold - but you still need strength.

There are actually a couple of kinds of rocker knives. Some look more like a regular knife with a curvy blade and those are ok. I prefer the Rocker T knives... you can look that up on g o o g l e for a picture. The plastic handle is better in my opinion so that you can put it in the dishwasher... the wood handle would need hand washing. As for cutting, I have two straight line papercutters from my scrapbooking days that work well for cutting papers. But for cutting open plastic bags and packages, I've been using a box cutter on my cutting board. It's not ideal since those dangerous things scare the begeebees out of me. I'll be curious to see others' suggestions on that as well! The OT didn't really offer any help in that department!

~ Sarah

While Bob had strength enough to eat by himself, he used an ulu knife - the rocking knife. There are also sponge like handles you can put around utensil handles and it makes it easier to hold - but you still need strength.

They tell me that you can go to Home Depot and They have a sponge like tube with a hole in the center that you can slide your fork handle into

They tell me that you can go to Home Depot and They have a sponge like tube with a hole in the center that you can slide your fork handle into

That sponge-like material with a hollow center in it might be easier to find if you call it "pipe insulation".

The health store didn't call it that but that's a good tip!

That sponge-like material with a hollow center in it might be easier to find if you call it "pipe insulation".

Always like it when someone points out how dumb we can be

Hey! I'm not dumb! Just unfamiliar with certain terms! And that's where Allen steps in! :)

It was just listed as "handle foam" in the catalog the VA PT used to order it for us. We haven't received it yet, but I hope it's helpful.

Hey! I'm not dumb! Just unfamiliar with certain terms! And that's where Allen steps in! :)

Didn't think I was. I not familiar with certain terms especially things like that

Pardon me for asking, but does she have someone around to cut food up for her?

In most cases independence is a good thing - I cling to every last shred of independence as long as I can.

But when it comes to ALS and eating - independence has to take a back seat to maximizing food consumption.

So if cutting up food is reducing the time and energy available to actually getting the food in the mouth, chewing and swallowing - it is time to delegate that chore to someone else.

IMHO

Thank you all for your replies. extra thanks for you PALS I know it is an effort for many of you to read and post here.
We will try a rocker knife and see
Rcharlton that is an excellent point and something we will monitor. My sister was diagnosed 3 weeks ago and her main issue is weakness in her dominant hand. Right now she has no real trouble in feeding other than cutting up meat and such and her swallow as yet appears to be completely unaffected. She has always been someone to be independent and not to rely on others. Her husband and I have already discussed the issue that with ALS it is better to accept help and save your strength and what a challenge that will be for her! I see your diagnosis date and it gives me hope.
Thank you all again
wishing you all strength and comfort
love
Nikki

thank you! (longer thank you is being moderated)

Just attended on Friday a very informational session about "thinking outside the box" to sorta adapt, modify and overcome obstacles for ALS patients. Actually, they encouraged us to go to the box stores and ask for pipe insulation and cut it to adapt to a fork or whatever. I found with my PALS that whatever, I could do to save his energy: eg cutting food, holding the glass to his lips with a straw, etc saved him and gave him extra energy for chewing and swallowing. On Saturday, we will mark the 2 year anniversary of his diagnosis. We rejoice that: HE IS STILL WITH US and still chewing and swallowing. The legs are useless and he and his pwc are bff.
Best wishes to you and your family.

I get the wife to cut the difficult things for me, they did give me a knife and fork in one, but the knife side is for right handed people, and I can only use my left hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back