Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Frequent recent falls are telling me that common sense may have to prevail. I still can use a cane but, will soon probably need something better.

Anyone else use a rolling walker? I was thinking that if I get one with an adjustable height and seat, I might be able to use this at the pottery studio while throwing on the wheel. I would still have more stable mobility and a basket to carry things.

I have fallen a couple of times in the studio and am worried that without a convincing solution they may fear for their liability and ask me to stop coming.

- Jerry

Hey there stranger! Do you have AFOs yet? I use AFOs on both legs to fix drop foot and a rolling walker and have stopped falling while using them. Don't be such a stranger! :)

I have a rolling walker, the kind with four big wheels. Sure beats the cane! The seat and basket are very handy too. I haven't had any falls with the cane or the walker plus my KAFO. My only beef is that I can't use the brakes, so I don't imagine it's really as safe as it could be. But it's nice to use the times I want to walk a bit and not use the wheelchair. The loan closets are usually well stocked with these, so borrow one and give it a whirl!

~ Sarah

The four wheel rolling walker is great for mobility but not so great for sitting. Sitting is possible, but these things are designed to roll. While seated it takes a very slight push with your right foot upon the floor to send you into a clockwise pivot, or counter-clockwise when tapping down the left foot. They do have brakes which will stop two wheels from rotating, but the plastic wheels will still slide easily over wood and tile floors. I have no experience with a pottery wheel, but I can say that putting things back into the refrigerator requires quite a bit of maneuvering. When I use a two wheel walker with 5 inch wheels I have to cross thresholds at an angle, but my four wheeled walker rumbles straight through due to the 8 inch wheels. Go big or go home.

I use my 4 wheeled walker for many things besides walking...a seat...a storage compartment...I could go on and on! I have AFO's on each leg for foot drop...this helps so much with stability and balance. Mine has hand brakes and a staionary brake.

Judy

I'm pretty sure I've said this before--but certainly use the Rolling Walker. They even make models you can have someone push if you're having a very 'tired' day in a store or something.

Save your energy--and stop risking falls--even without ALS, as we get older, it's harder to recover from falls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back