Diagnosis
05/2011
Country
US
State
GA
City
EGA
I'm ready to start shopping for a transfer board. Who knew there were so many to choose from? I wanted to see what others have used and liked and why. I've tried a plastic one that my OT likes but didn't think it was very "slidey" At present I'd probably just use it for transfers in and out of the car. We have an electric lift for down the road but OT thinks I'll probably be able to use a board for a very long time.

Plastic or wood?
One handle or two?
Length?

Thanks for your input.

The ALS Society loaned us a wooden one. We used it to slide Bob from his wheelchair to the toilet and back on. He did need to be clothed both ways though. Worked really well actually. Very "slidey"! Yasmin

I'll be interested in this topic as well. I have been trying to decide on what kind of lift I should get and when the right time is to use it. I don't feel like I am ready for that yet, but I am concerned about my husbands back, not to mention when my mom is here with me. I didn't even think about a transfer board but I think that might be the answer for me right now.

I use a formica bookshelf. Works great. ALS gave me a wood slider which works well but is not as wide as I would like. We have a hydrolic hoyer which saved my husbands back and made my life so much easier.

We used a wooden transfer board. During the hot summer months that had excessive humidity, I rubbed baby powder over the board for even "more slide-ability." This worked well for transfers from wheel chair to toilet.

How do u use those

Joni,

It is a "bridge" that you sit on or tuck under your bottom. then you can be pulled across. You must have pants or a cloth between you and the board or it won't work.

LabMom, We bought a used portable electric lift that has a battery back-up. My daughter was no longer able to lift me from the floor by herself if I fell. We're not using it right now as I can still make transfers on my own, but it does give me a great deal of peace of mind knowing that it's available should the need for it arise. I've used both types. The hand pump-hydraulic lift will get the job done, but I felt that an electric unit would be easier on my CALS once it has to be used on a daily basis.

Joni, the MDA caregivers guide has instructions and I'm sure you can find a video online. It's very portable too.
Thanks to all of you for your input.

Thanks Janet, some of the things we have not used yet, I am unsure how to use them.

I'd try the wooden transfer board if you didn't like the plastic ones. They're varnished highly--very slippery. They make transfers from chair to wheelchair much easier. (arm removed from manual chairs makes them easier)

Hope you find one that works for you

Thanks, Deb. I have been researching the Hoyer lifts and I also think it would be a good idea to have one available in case I go all the way down. Seems that is more likely to happen as my legs are very unreliable now. For the most part I can stand and pivot but I can't take steps. Too often recently my legs refuse to work at all.

We have a hoyer lift, at least I think it's a hoyer. It's a lift anyway. I don't think it will be helpful if my husband falls again. This is unlikely because he is only up for transfers and I am holding on to his gait belt for transfers, but you never know. I'm a lot smaller than he and I have been in a pickle before trying to decide which way to guide him when he does get really weak between transfers. He has a tendency for his ankles to roll and he is unable to remain standing. Is a hoyer helpful if a pals falls? Does it get them off the floor?

Yes, Wendy. You should be able to use the lift to get him off of the floor. Have a friend practice a few times with you.

If his ankles roll, you should get him afo's to stable the foot. Ankle Foot Orthotic. I wear them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back