Diagnosis
10/2011
Country
US
State
Ca
City
San Ramon
Hello Everyone! We just got our suction machine delivered last night. Any tips or tricks? My pALS has an incredibly strong gag reflex and, of course, the second he got it, he shoved the stick thing (a medical term, I'm certain) so far back in his throat that he vomited. Now every time he looks at it he makes sounds like a cat with a hairball. :-?

He has a lot of mucus that he just can't process anymore, and I'm sure this is going to be a good thing, once we get the hang of it.

Anyone? Thanks, in advance.

That medical thingy is called a Yankeure (sp?). Not sure why they cant call it a wand... but anyways...
It will most likely take some time for him to get used to it. Dont put it back so far. You may also be able to change how strong the suction is, maybe turn it down. Make sure he is getting lots and lots of fluids, as this helps to keep things thin. Some folks use Mucinex as well.
Hope this has helped a bit. Best of luck

Use it like they would at the Dentist office going in and out that way you don't have time to start gagging only you figure how deep to go as you use it. I sometimes shut my mouth and it suction pretty good that way also still moving tube in and out that's what I use.

Excellent suggestions, and I thank you both, very much! I appreciate your time and thoughts.

Have a great day!

Ha! My 'thank you' has gone to moderation....funny!

Just know that I'm grateful!

Have a lovely day.

Good luck with the suctioning. I hope it will help hubby be more comfortable.

If the Pal is able to use their hands--it might be easier if they try using it themselves. If not--start slow. If you put it too deep and cause vomiting, there is a very real risk of aspirating the vomit into the lungs--which can be deadly. Some have a more pronounced gag reflex than others.

As Liz suggested--turn it down and start slowly. Don't try to go to the back of the throat--if seriously think secretions are a problem ask the doc about meds to help with that.

A cough assist may be needed if the Pal is unable to get secretions from the lungs. They also have more than one type of wand for them. Some are smaller than others. Maybe a pediatric sized wand would be better for now?

Thank you, Not Me. Yes, he's bulbar, so he still has use of his arms and I've let him be in charge of it so he's learning to deal with it on his own. It took a good week for him to trust it again, but he's doing so much better. And yes about his having an extreme gag reflex, also. I will look into a child-sized wand. Thanks so much for the tip!

THanks, again, to all. Have a great day.

Hi - I just wanted to add something. The Yankeur (wand) that is on my husbands suction machine has a hole about halfway down. The suction doesnt work unless the hole is covered by a finger. This means that you can quickly release your finger to stop the suctioning action rather than have to pull the yankeur out. It gives much more control. It also has an angled tip rather than just a straight wand.

Hmm, I wonder how I missed this thread? My hubby has the suction machine also and the wand had the hole one it. After it was delivered, he was like a kid with a new toy! Had that wand all over the mouth and was using it what seemed like every half hour or more. Every once in awhile he would put it to far back and hit the gag area but was real quick to pull it out! We also started the atropine drops under the tongue once a day and that seems to be helping keep secretions down. Now the newness is over and he hasn't used it in two or three days! Boys and their toys! He is still just Bulbar for which I'm so thankful every day, it could be worse!

Rog has the suction machine and the cough assist machine. The suction machine was a great tool when he had a cold and tons of mucous that just wouldn't move. He also uses the Atropine drops for the saliva, but with the g-tube and not eating by mouth as much, the saliva production has dropped....he was going through 5 - 6 hankies a day and 2-3 bibs. Our suction machine is really loud...

Jen

They even make a portable suction that is hand-operated (no electric required) for outings and such. They can be found in EMS stores or online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back