Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Mid
Guess we all know the usual reason for adding prune juice to our diet, which is why we got it for Dad. Just thought I'd share an added benefit we found. Dad has been starting to struggle a bit with pill swallowing and he now will only takes his meds with prune juice. He says it helps the pills slide right down!

Applesauce is our new friend! He swallows his large pills with no problem.

Wow. Your dad was just diagnosed. We are one year with ALS.

Hi Georgia.

Yes, just diagnosed, but now that we know what is wrong with him, we realize someone should have caught it last summer for sure, if not before. He was hospitalized last July for a week because he couldn't breathe. He was finally released with no diagnosis, then again in September, then again in December for another week. In January, a new cardiologist finally ordered a fluoroscopy of his diaphragm because with his speech issues, general weakness, and breathing complaint, he suspected a stroke (or strokes) - apparently a paralyzed diaphragm is a possible effect of stroke. The fluoroscopy showed his diaphragm was definitely not working well (60%) so he made a referral to a neurologist. Neurologist was sure it was ALS and sent him to a second neurologist for nerve and muscle conduction tests. She confirmed the diagnosis. I wish I had known the symptoms of ALS. I can't believe all of those doctors had us convinced that he having anxiety issues over his existing health issues. I so want to call each and every one of them and tell them what they missed, just so they might recognize it in someone in the future.

He can't walk without a cane, but now he can barely hold his cane because his hands are so weak. I hadn't realized how much he had relied on his hands and arms to push himself up when he wanted to stand, but now that they're getting weak, he can barely get out of a chair on his own and his it's getting worse very quickly. This is a crazy awful disease and I've been overwhelmed the last few weeks, trying to learn everything I need to know.

Wonder if other juice would be just the same? not to put down prune juice or anything...but hey...don't think I need it everyday ;)

prune juice has two functions, the normal one plus it is one of the most highly rated anti-toxin food. do a glass every morning but its difficult

wonder if those who dont like the juice, and can still eat- if just prunes alone would be beneficial. I love me some prunes. the juice? not so much

Hi Georgia.

Yes, just diagnosed, but now that we know what is wrong with him, we realize someone should have caught it last summer for sure, if not before. He was hospitalized last July for a week because he couldn't breathe. He was finally released with no diagnosis, then again in September, then again in December for another week. In January, a new cardiologist finally ordered a fluoroscopy of his diaphragm because with his speech issues, general weakness, and breathing complaint, he suspected a stroke (or strokes) - apparently a paralyzed diaphragm is a possible effect of stroke. The fluoroscopy showed his diaphragm was definitely not working well (60%) so he made a referral to a neurologist. Neurologist was sure it was ALS and sent him to a second neurologist for nerve and muscle conduction tests. She confirmed the diagnosis. I wish I had known the symptoms of ALS. I can't believe all of those doctors had us convinced that he having anxiety issues over his existing health issues. I so want to call each and every one of them and tell them what they missed, just so they might recognize it in someone in the future.

He can't walk without a cane, but now he can barely hold his cane because his hands are so weak. I hadn't realized how much he had relied on his hands and arms to push himself up when he wanted to stand, but now that they're getting weak, he can barely get out of a chair on his own and his it's getting worse very quickly. This is a crazy awful disease and I've been overwhelmed the last few weeks, trying to learn everything I need to know.
You should let those Dr's know what he has, maybe the next family will not have to suffer as much. The mis diagnosed my dad for a year an ahalf. The thought he had a stroke, then Metho something gravix, where there is like a missing link from the brain to the mouth, then speech therapy. I live in Maryland with Hopkins ect.... tooo?

Sorry to hear your Dad was misdiagnosed also, Georgia. I just found the paperwork from last July's hospital visit. Writing each of those doctors is on my 'to do' list.

A prune or two will work just as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back