Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Mid
So, this may not be applicable to many people, but here goes.. my Dad is still reasonably functioning, but getting in and out of the car is getting difficult as is putting on the seatbelt - actually it's GETTING the seatbelt that is an issue.

I just bought a cool thing that makes getting the seatbelt on easier. It's a rubber handle that you snap onto the seatbelt. The soft rubber handle extends out 6 or so inches so when he reaches over to grab it, there's a handy handle there - 6" closer than before. With the handle he can pull the seatbelt right over his lap and then hook it as usual (or I can hook it from the driver's seat).

Not exactly rocket science, but looking for the little bright spots these days :D

Awesome! Please, share where you purchased this. My husband could use this gaget. We both struggle to put the seatbelt on him!
Thank you!

hmmmm...Doesn't look like my first reply went through. I found it on Amazon. Shipping wasn't free, but it was less than $6 so it wasn't bad price-wise.

Ah, now I understand.. the moderators verify posts with links in them. That's why my first response didn't post. I had included the link to the Amazon site. Anyway, I'm not selling them or anything - just thought they were cool. My perfectly healthy 82 yr mom liked it too so I just ordered another for her last night. Actually found another brand with 2 for the same price as the one I ordered so tried that instead. The first one arrive within two days of ordering it (amazing!). We'll see how this other company does. (Found them both on Amazon)

Its the little things isn't it! All the little things and tasks in life that healthy people often take for granted every day. My grandmother used to say all the time that she was so thankful for her hands. It wasn't till I was older I realized what a very wise woman she was.

I just had to use a pair of pliers to pull the pill package out of it's fancy little flat case today!

HelenL,

I've started using my little hemostats for gripping small items (they're very lightweight).

Pliers are my gadget for turning on the clothes washer's knob and hanging pants (clip kind). Clamps on the dryer door handle allow access there. Laundry seems to be the only thing I do well these days.

i tried the little seat belt handle and it was more of a pain than a help. i guess it depends on the person.

My Dad didn't like it the first day, but told me to leave it there and now it seems to be helping. I can see where it wouldn't be for everyone, though.

I have pliers everywhere! And 2 jar openers! And my husband tied a rope around the fridge door handle. My right hand is shot, so if I am holding something in my left hand, I can't open the fridge. Now I can just put my arm through the rope loop, and us my body weight to open. It is the little things that get you!

I have a strap with a loop tied onto the car door through the window opening. It allows me to be able to close the car door and gives me an assist to stand provided my CALS braces the open door.

I'm down to about 2 shelves and a drawer in the fridge and freezer. Thank goodness I have the PWC, opening the fridge or freezer threw me off balance even with the walker unless I was seated on it. Having ice and water on the door is a blessing as well.

Love our Open Station by H amil ton Beech! The special gadgets on it have been terrific since my dominant hand has gotten weaker.

I have a strap with a loop tied onto the car door through the window opening. It allows me to be able to close the car door and gives me an assist to stand provided my CALS braces the open door.

I'm down to about 2 shelves and a drawer in the fridge and freezer. Thank goodness I have the PWC, opening the fridge or freezer threw me off balance even with the walker unless I was seated on it. Having ice and water on the door is a blessing as well.

Love our Open Station by H amil ton Beech! The special gadgets on it have been terrific since my dominant hand has gotten weaker.

The strap for the car door sounds helpful. I saw something like that online, but I wasn't sure the door would still close and seal well.

My umpteenth dumb question of the day... what is a PWC?

PWC=Powered Wheel Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back