Diagnosis
11/2011
Country
US
State
colorado
City
montrose
My Mother in law is needing to have a talking machine and we are trying to look into options. They heard about using a phone or ipad to talk. I have tried to research this information and not coming up with much. Is there anyone out there that has some information that can educate me a bit.
I am wanting to help her as much as I can.
Marcie

My husband uses an IPad. you can download different programs to talk through. Some of the programs are a little more expensive. The one we chose is assistive chat, you download it through apps on the ipad. It was around 30 bucks..Good luck, and type in Ipad on search at the top, that should take you to some other discussions about Ipads, Ipods.

We are using the iPad, also, although Fred still prefers a pencil and paper for people who can see him. You can download SpeakIt, or a free version of Verbally, and see if you like them. Verbally also has a paid version, about $100, that seems to be very good.

Hope that helps.

A number of people use prologue to go I think (apps for iphone and ipad) and have found it good also. We had to change machines a number of times along the way. If I knew at the beginning of speech loss what I know now I would have looked for a solution that would have lasted the whole way through the illness, since it's exhausting having to learn a new system each time there's a change. I would definitely go for something touch screen, as it's less muscle exertion. The ipad would in my opinion reach it's limits when a person no longer has strength in their hands. There are a few gadgets out there which might allow operation with another part of the body but not many. As the ipad has no ports, plugging in a switch is not a possibility. Have you got any professionals on board to help advise? A speech therapist perhaps?

I love my iPad with Proloquo2Go., even with 1-finger typing. Plus, for $20/mo, I have online access for Internet and email. It was a big investment for us, but I have it on my lap all the time and it makes a big difference. Yes, I expect to need a head mouse or Eyemax sometime, but I like the flexibility and portability for as long as I can.
Good luck!
Sue

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back