06/2011
Country
CA
State
AB
City
Calgary
Hi,

We would like to keep our family member with ALS at home. Which renovations would be necessary to make it easier to care for someone with ALS?

At this point, cooking/house cleaning etc. is out of the question for the patient. So we are not looking at renos that will help the person do those things. We are rather trying to find out what renos others have found necessary in caring for someone with ALS. For example, did the carpet have to go, because it is easier to move a wheelchair on other flooring? What type of bath-system has to be installed? Those are just examples. Let me know which renos you can't live without.

Thanks
Lucie

Here is what I can think of off the top of my head:

Entry ramps to get in/out of the house.
Ramps/lifts/elevator if needed to access additional levels inside the house.
Widening doors to allow wheelchair access.
Roll in shower with sufficient accessibility to take care of someone in a reclining shower chair.
Raised toilet (and a bidet seat can be very helpful, which may require an additional electrical outlet).
Low pile carpeting or smooth floors will make it easier in moving a person around on a patient lift.

I have an additional question regarding renovations and buying equipment...

do you prefer using a hoyer lift that moves around, or is it ultimately better to have the kind with the ceiling track? I remember Joel (I think) had a schematic of how to put together your own track system and save lots of money on the prices.

One thing I soooo wish we did when we renovated our bathroom was have a sink with a spray faucet. It would be so much easier to wash my hubbys hair and hands! Good Luck with the renovations!

Most important & urgent are wide doors to allow wheelchair in. Can anyone recommend any particular type of carpet that allows smooth movements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back