Diagnosis
05/2011
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
City
Greensburg
:?: Can anyone give advice on which wheelchair van you feel is the best buy and the most efficient? Any input on experience with one and how much you like it? We will be getting a new van and having it equiped for wheelchair access. Any suggestions? Any helpful tips?

I have a question about wheelchair vans as well... is it worth having an older Honda Odyssey (that's paid off and only 125K miles) CONVERTED to be wheelchair accessible? It's older, but runs well. KissJ, sorry for hijacking your thread, but hopefully someone will know both! :)
Helen

Do either of you get the QUEST magazine from MDA? They show all kinds and types and have used ones for sale. I have a Dodge Grand Caravan no conversion and has 300,000 miles on it. And actually, Helen, the oddessy ?sp? Is shown quite frequently with rear and side entrances. I think CJ said she accesses it through on-line. Mine has been coming to me for 20 yrs. I like to see it up close and personal.

Good Luck!

we bought a used toyota sienna witha side electric ramp. it is very nice to drive and i really like the side ramp. We bought it privately, but I looked at a specialty dealer first, and they let me test drive several different vans.

Thanks, Richard. It sucked it so fast it didn't give me time to see if it posted or not then sent the shorter version and they call this a smartphone!

Kimberly

We have a 2010 Odyssey with side entry. We looked at the Toyota. It seemed to have less space for the wheelchair than the Honda. Of course different year models could make a difference.

I love our van. I thought it would be more fuel efficient than it is, but I guess the extra weight from the equipment might have something to do with that.

We bought the 2010 Honda Odyssey with side entry. It has worked out well to have transportation but it is not fuel efficient. If my husband is not with me, I drive my car.

Hey everybody, I have Eddies van for sale. 2010 Chrysler ventura, Braun conversion. He bought it new
last year. I am the only one who has ever drivin it. A little over 3K miles.

All of Eddie's possesions are in a trust. One could make an offer. I don't know what they would take?
Cost around 55K new. I think it will go somewhere around the middle 40K's

Obviously, very clean, kept in the garage. Let me know if you have any interest.

One thing is for sure, if you need a handicap van, you want it to work properly.

Kissj, I do hope you find what you are looking for. :)

Jim

Helen, the conversion will cost you a pretty penny. The conversion cost on our Honda was over $20,000. In buying a new, I definately recommend the Honda. We had a Town and Country, and the difference in the two is amazing.

I got a used 2004 Ford Freestar rear entry and it's pretty good. 4 bucket seats so I'm quite a ways back to hear the driver at higher speeds.

AL.

Thanks all, I'm going to look into that magazine... I'm still driving, but looking ahead to when it will be impossible.

My Honda Odyssey is lousy on gas already, wanted to downsize it a couple of years ago for that reason.

Hey Al,

Were you a bad boy and made to sit in the back? Or was it a fast get away from the MsAl in the driver seatM

Love ya,

Kimberly

I would buy used with low miles, depreciation is terrible on new. Don't forget you can claim the conversion portion of your purchase as medical expense.

We went into this saying we would never buy new because of the depreciation. We wanted one slightly used but no more than a couple of years old. At thee time we did not know that the VA would pay for future conversions, so we thought this one needed to last as long as possible.
The VA told us there was 2 places that had vans already done for us to choose from. They had the Hondas, Toyotas, Town and Countrys, Dodge Caravans and a Volkswagen. I didn't even look at the VW. It was black, and I felt it would be an oven when our temps are over 100. After looking at the other models, Rick wanted the Honda. The only used ones they had were 2007s, and they were around $47,000. We bought a new 2010 in June 2011. They gave us a $2500 rebate as they wanted to clear the last 2 they had off the lot. I asked and got that raised to $3000. I don't remember the final cost but after the VA paid their part, it was just under $20,000.
We have been very happy overall. There are a few little things, but I am sure that would be true with any vehicle. For us the Honda was the right decision.

Thank you all with all the excellent advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back