Diagnosis
11/2009
Country
US
State
South Dakota
City
Custer
I am searching for a new power chair since the one that I am using was my husbands and doesn't fit me very well. I have Medicare, and I know that they will help with the power chair. So I started my research on the Internet to compare different chairs.

This morning I had a call from one of the companies that handles used wheelchairs. When I told her I was a Medicare patient she said and I quote "oh, then we can't help you since Medicare will only pay for new equipment."

That doesn't make sense to me -- it is assuring that the Medicare expenses are going to continue to creep up. Our taxpayer dollars at work! :)

So today I will call the local medical supply place and set up an appointment with their wheelchair department for a brand-spanking new power chair. Then I will have a used wheel chair to give to Stu's Guardian Angels for somebody who doesn't have Medicare and is grateful for any chair. Even if it is used.

Why do they have to make things so difficult? Sheesh!

Diane, isn't it ridiculous? We found this out several years ago. I'm sure they don't contract with "used equipment" dealers due to warranty issues or something. But, it seems downright silly to pay nearly 40K for something you can get for 9K or less.

Be sure they measure you properly and let you try out different models, if they have them.

If you go to the ALS Clinic you can most likely have them set up a demo from the PWC rep while you are there for your doc appmt.

Yes make sure it is the one that fits you and has what you need that Medicare will cover. They will repair the chair but will only buy one for you. We had to pay for the elevation feature, because it is not medically necessary . There are some other features they won't cover, but the important ones seem to be okay.

I didn't request the elevate feature and already think I regret it. I really expected to be able to do a little more in the kitchen as I still have the use of my hands. Alas, I'm "too short." Only had it for 36 hours so time will tell. Go back and read all the threads on W/Cs before you place your order. My company said that Medicare would not pay for the elevate feature and that it would have been an additional $2,400. Had I tried one out before the order was placed, I would have gotten that feature anyway. Good luck!

Luckily when I got my chair MDA was still helping out. My insurance carrier paid for everything except the elevate function and MDA paid the difference.

i think medicare pays for a new chair every 5 years. not for sure, but i think so

That's why I bought my own used one, Liz. I was afraid I might need a nicer one later -- so bought a scooter that I can use now--and a used one for home as needed.

There are only certain places that accept Medicare, too. I'd recommend finding a local dealer that can service it down the road rather than one of the "scooter stores" out there--as they charge a mint to fix anything.

My local dealer isn't medicare approved--but he fixed my scooter for cost of parts (battery) only. He rewired it and charged me nothing.

I'd suggest that you look at what you might need in a year--and get it all ahead of time--things like head rests, elevating legs, driver controls for a caregiver to use, etc.

all insurance, including medicare, is corrupt. i understand not covering used equipment but it's unconscionable for medicare to pay list prices on equipment that is sold to uninsured individuals for 30% less.

I got a Permobile, it is supper! I got the elevated feature, which will help with transfers because if you are higher than bed or chair gravity will work and make it easier. I suggest Diane that you contact you ALS clinic and go through the PT/OT as they will know how to justify all the features you need. That's what I did and I got every feature because the docs backed it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back