Diagnosis
09/2011
Country
US
State
PA
City
McKeesport
I can still drive but a real adventure if I can turn key in ignition. Most key turners say won't fit those thick plastic head car keys. Having a hard time finding on search.

*%^*& steering locks!

Also anything that works to turn venilation control knobs. Now I have to pull over or wait for red light to reach over & get with left hand. Anything that works?

I have the same problem. It's hard to turn on the ignition yet I can still drive once the car is started. I've figured out a way to change the way I turn the key with my who,e hand as my thumbs are worse.

I have the same problem. It's hard to turn on the ignition yet I can still drive once the car is started. I've figured out a way to change the way I turn the key with my who,e hand as my thumbs are worse.

Left is getting weaker too but at least has dexterity yet. Still tough to get my left around/through steering wheel to do. Thinking if I feel I could drive for awhile I'd go with a remote starter and then only have to turn key to acc position to unlock the friggin steering lock.

But this dang neurological problem has no crystal ball on time.

Hi Rita and cc, I just had a wild thought, what if you got a styrofoam ball and pushed the key part you hold on to into it then you would have a lorge surface to turn key...? might work?maybe not.

What a great idea, if the styrofoam broke down you could have someone make a slot in one of those solid rubber balls that we use for dogs to retrieve!

Great ideas. I did find what is called a car starter at Aids for Arthritis. About $15. Ordered. Hope it works.

At supermarket last night. It was raining. Hands wet. Key wet. Thought I was going to have to ask a stranger. Finally found a way to get left hand through wheel to start.

now need to figure something for knobs.

Another one that I saw was a rectangular plastic you could heat on stove & mold around keys. W/O good hand dexterity wasn't sure I wanted to tackle that.

Maybe for the knobs, something wrapped around with a lever sticking out, one finger use , up or down, thus turning knob? Just throwing out ideas.....

To turn the key I used to use a smallish screwdriver that I would slide through the key ring hole to be able to use it as a lever. Just a cheap dollar store item.

To turn the key I used to use a smallish screwdriver that I would slide through the key ring hole to be able to use it as a lever. Just a cheap dollar store item.

Great idea

I used the rectangle plastic that could be molded around the key. Really worked well for me. I don't drive any longer. My legs are getting weaker so I don't trust my reflexes. I don't want to hurt anyone because of poor driving from me. It's hard to give up my independence, but this is part of my difficult journey with this awful disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back