Diagnosis
01/2008
Country
US
State
Northeast
City
Jersey
I am interested in finding out about this technology. Does anyone use this or have info on it? I'm just starting to research this and see the need coming up quickly. Is there only one brand? Or are there many and is one better than others? When do you introduce this? My husband is getting very weak with regards to his arms, neck and his speech is deteriorating (he is also wheelchair bound, but can transfer with assistance, more and more each week). His computer and communication is very important to him so I know we need to make some adjustments to make this easier. I can see the frustration mounting. Any suggestions? I will contact our local ALS association, they are very helpful. But I would like to have some info before calling so I know what I am calling about and what questions to ask. Thank you for any feedback!

My husband uses Dynavox with Eyegaze. It works really well for him. My only real suggestion is that you need to get it sooner rather than later. It takes practice to use it. It will be much better if he can practice before he needs it so that he is proficient with it when he needs it.

my dad's is made by tobii and I also agree you want it way sooner than later. We got ours last October and have not got to use it the Tobbii people came out initially to set it up and didn't have all the parts and and never came back. Now dad is on vent and uses his eyes to talk. Been on the phone with Tobbii alot now and we have a rolling mount on the way for the computer and a service person scheduled.

Tobii, eyegaze, rolling mount. Outstanding with training.

Thank you for this information and advice. It seems the timing is right now, maybe even past due. Are there any other brands? And by "alot of training" can you describe that a little?

Dynavox or Tobii- the key is practice practice practice! Good luck!

We use the Tobii C15 Eyegaze with rolling mount also. The phone support is actually pretty good. I had to call about a week ago and they have the ability to take over the computer if you have the internet and make changes and set things up for you. It definitely takes practice. I think all of them have kinks occasionally but having the support is important. Plus, it also takes a good deal of time to customize the system for your PALS specific needs.

Jen has had hers for well over a year and it is her lifeline, as well as mine. We got a wireless card for it ($30) so she can email, surf the net, facebook, etc (even allows her to do the grocery shopping via Peapod). The first two months we were home we used a letter board and the level of frustration experienced by all was greatly reduced with the eyegaze. We have mounts for her chair and a rolling stand that will go under the bed. Not sure if it is a DynaVox issue but we do have to restart it fairly often.

I work for an eye tracking research and development company, and I can offer some answers to your questions because I'm pretty familiar with the industry. Dynavox and Tobii are the most commonly used as far as eye trackers go. From what I've seen, Dynavox is the most commonly used for eye tracking assistive communication, at least in the US. Tobii is based in Sweden, and although they have distributors here, they don't seem to be as widely used for assistive technology as they are for research and usability studies, and they are typically far more expensive. Most devices on the market now for assistive communication and computer control are monitor-mounted and track eye movement from a distance. This is nice because there is no contact with the device. I have heard of problems, however, especially with the dynavox or older ERICA systems (now owned by Dynavox) where the sunlight coming through the window affects the accuracy during certain parts of the day. One PALS I've corresponded with uses a HT50 Newport ventilator and had a hard time using the Dynavox because every time he took his eyes off the screen to sip from the vent, he had to recalibrate the system. Another type of eye tracker is a wearable kind, worn like a pair of glasses. This is what our company is developing in attempt to counteract some of these issues the other systems are experiencing. Unfortunately, our product is not quite ready for market yet, but it is something to consider in the near future. If your husband still has head movement, I have heard really good things about the SmartNav head tracker as well.

I hope this helps! Eye tracking is definitely a life changing technology and I really think it will do wonders for your husband. Best of luck!

My hubby uses the eyegaze. He started out with the dynavox but the mouse and switch method became way to difficult. I remember the day he got the eyegaze..within 5 minutes he was communicating and surfing the net. It has improved quality of life immensely. He has been using this for two years..he did all the kids Christmas shopping on line..writes speeches...face book...email..pays bills! He would be bored to death without this amazing technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back