Learn about ALS
Country
AUS
State
Vic
City
Melbourne
Hello everyone,
I'm new here not to sure I'm in the right posting area but anyway my problem/question is
I can no longer squeeze out the shampoo from it's bottle I'm having trouble keepling my arms up above my head to wash my hair anyway it's frustrating Ive resorted to using my jaw and teeth to squeeze it out but will mo doubt break a filling or something lol
Anyone got Any tips? I was thinking of cutting the top of and spooning it out but don't no wether the shampoo will last.
I know this sounds like a ridiculous and small thing compared to alot of others and fo apologize but any suggestions would be great

Hi E! I have small travel bottles that I fill from larger bottles that make it much easier for me.

Oh, and it's not ridiculous at all. ;)

Would you be able to push down on a pump bottle?

I've pretty much lost the use of my hands but I can still shower myself. I set up a bicycle repair stand next to my tub and stuck a scrub brush in the vise. Now I load the scrub brush with soap and move around it. Great for washing hair.

Attachments

• P9103051.jpg
    P9103051.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 668
  • cranberry_bodywash.jpg
    cranberry_bodywash.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 354
Good idea Rich!

One of those stick on the wall multi-compartment soap dispensers worked great for me until my wrists and arms got too weak. I got mine from Home Depot, and I've seen them at Bed Bath and Beyond.

Yup--definitely the pump dispenser. If they don't have one in your area for shampoo--buy a liquid soap and pour some shampoo into it.

As for getting it clean--I'm with you. My hair is to my wist and I can't wash it properly. I end up concentrating on the top for a minute or two and just stand up in the shower until it's rinsed. I can't get shampoo out of the underneath--so I just don't put any there.

It's why I've been thinking of cutting it off. A pain to wash with nearly useless hands. Luckily, my hair is very dry and it doesn't 'look' dirty until it's been a week.

If your hair is long--bring it around front and rub it to wash it--easier than scrubbing and doesn't require good finger control.

For preserving arm function, I recommend No Rinse Shampoo. You can use it lying back in bed, with a towel around your neck. Taking out the rinsing makes it a lot less energy itensive, and being desinged for astronauts it works very well. You just need a tiny amount of water to wet your hair a bit. It has a flip top type lid, and pours out without squeezing, just gravity. Better yet, you can pour it onto a washcloth instead of fighting with bottles in the air.

Also, this might be obvious, but in case it isn't: if you can let your head droop, you don't need to hold your arms above your head... just about the level of your shoulders. It looks dumb, but it works for me!

notme- if you do decide to cut off all your hair, you should donate it to Locks of Love... just a suggestion

Liz,

If i get up the nerve to cut it--it'll go somewhere useful. I cut it 4 years ago when I had the stroke that paralyzed my right arm--but it's grown back as long as it was then.

I hate washing it--so don't do so anymore than necessary. I just sort of let the shower do the cleaning and definitely the rinsing. I didn't know they had a soap that didn't need rinsed.

Most days I have a wrapped knot in it to keep it off my face.

I agree with Brian and have got one for shampoo and liquid soap

Mine you just have to touch a pad and hey presto shampoo in your hand. Battery operated

E, purchased online, many different ones to pick from

Cheers
Peter

My wife Maria gets in the tub and I roll up in my wheelchair and put one of those plastic rectangular storage containers about 4 in. hi that fits under bed on my lap and hang my head forward over it and she uses the handheld shower head and washes and rinces twice before emptying. Works great with no effort other than trying to comb it wich is getting tuffer to do. Thinking about the times in younger days when my father used to give the buzz cut that allways made me cry. Does not sound like a bad idea now

I have a soap dispenser that uses a sensor. You just put you hand under the top where the soap comes out and soap will dispense. No touching or pressing. I have antibacterial soap in mine, but you can put shampoo in it. It's made by "simplehuman." We bought a set of two from Sam's Club. (you could probably order online.)

That might work for some for a while, til your arm strength really deteriorates.

My post went to moderator...

Anyway, you can buy a touch-less soap dispenser. Put your hand under the nozzle and voila! This will work if you can still use your arms and hands. I bought ours at a distribution c l u b. But, I'm sure you could buy it online. (made by s i m p l e h u m a n)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back