12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Like Vespas?....I wish; lol.

No; my question is to try to understand the difference between a full blown power wheel chair and the scooters that we see advertised on TV. These are always shown in stores or outside, as well as inside as if they are quite versatile. Also, they are advertised as "free" through your insurance program.

Are these things any good? Are they only an interim step to a more expensive fully featured chair?

Hello Bad Balance,
I just went through this process, wheelchari vs scooter. The important thing is, to save your medical/insurance for when you need the full blown power wheel chair, because as I understand it, you only get one covered, period. What i did, was ask the local ALS Doner Closet to borrow one. I got a Ralley (spelling?) which is small, turns fairly well, and can be taken apart to put in the trunk of a car, though it is more complicated then the "Go GO" which is really simple to take apart. I would have liked a go go but "beggars cant be choosers". Do you have an ALS Association nearby you could ask to see if they have a loaner scooter? Be sure to save your insurance for the big power one latter down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back