Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
US
State
CALIFORNIA
City
san diego
Hey guys this is the next best thing to slice bread lol I started using condom catheter. what a relief. just make sure every thing is in a stright line or you'll get back presure and leak . my wife puts a new one on daily. bless her soul :smile: there self seal so make sure your well groomed

Glad to hear you like it. I've been putting it off for a while. It sounds like you're using the ones from Bio-Derm. Is that right?

yes it is and it makes life so much easier

I've been wondering what to do when it's impossible for Hal to get into a standing position. Right now, we use the motorized wheelchair chair and a standing pole or a walker to get him to stand, and then use a urinal next to the chair.. But it's getting really hard for him to hold the stand, even though he holds onto a walker or the pole. Any intermediate steps between that and a catheter?

my wife puts a new one on daily. bless her soul :smile: there self seal so make sure your well groomed

How does that work on her? :wink: :wink:

Any intermediate steps between that and a catheter?

Fran,

One intermediate step is just to use a cheap plastic handheld urinal. Then he just has to scoot to the edge of the chair. I'm not yet to that position myself... so I wonder which is easier to deal with. It seems like dealing with a catheter might be less burden on the wives than dealing with periodic "Honey... I need to go".

Perhaps others with more experience will chime in.

I agree with what Brian is saying. He can use a urinal while seated or laying down. He can hold it himself as long as he can and if cant do it at one point, then you can hold if for him or set it up for him to use it.
There usually is a bit of a time that it takes someone to be able to "comfortably" pee with someone else handling things. I dont mean this is physically uncomfortable, but sort of like shy bladder. It can take some time to get used to it.
This also helps save energy that can be used on more important things instead of getting up and holding onto bars to go. Obviously the PALS wouldnt have to do this all of the time- sure, still get up and do stuff while the ability is there. But it can be done every now and then or whatever works for all parties involved. also saves time.

Hope this helps a bit and that you guys find the solutions you need.

went camping in the desert this weekend im so glade im using a condom catheter. no fussing with the strugle of trying to stand get my pants down or saying hay babe i got to pee. like theres a power chair bathroom in a trailer motorhome or tent. plus i gives me back some self independence and shlf pride. heck space men use them.

One thing I don't remember ever seeing mentioned was how long/often you can wear these things.
I mean can you go 24-7-365?
You need a few hours break each day, or can only do five days a week, etc.?

Changes are recommended daily with an hour or so break in between. It is recommended to wash and dry the penis before applying one. I use them only during the day at this point. The skin should also be monitored for rashes, sores, skin tears, redness, etc.

i change wel my wife removes mine at night and replaces it in the am. although when i went camping i left it on threw the night and changed it in am. at home at night i have slept in it my wife wil change it out right befor bed. but i do like to have a hour or so to air out.

wouldnt want to get that musty smell... LOL
In all seriousness though, im glad its working out for you!

If one wants to try these catheters you can call the suppliers to get free samples including leg and night bags. Coloplast and Rochester Medical are two from whom I received samples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back