Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
AU
State
VIC
City
Wodonga
I consulted with an OT when I began to have difficulty with the repeated elbow-bend involved in eating. To my surprise she had nothing to suggest other than pacing meals, taking breaks, lessening serving size etc.

I have found two things helpful. The first is eating at a raised table, so that the distance between plate and mouth is lessened. The second is this:

Stick mid air.JPG

Without this stick and pulley invention I would often have to stop eating, or even require help to continue. It works extreemly well for me, and I thought it might be worth sharing.

Stick cutting.JPG Stick and cup.JPG Stick and fork.JPG Stick gripping cup.JPG

I can push down reasonably well with the alternate hand, raising the 'eating' hand with either a fork or cup.

Stick rule.JPG

The length would vary, I guess, with a persons height. This is a meter rule beside the stick for some comparison. The length of the cord and cuffs is more critical, and I designed this so that as one rist touches the tray or table, the other is raised right to the pulley. I have used 18 X 6mm Tasmanian Oak, with a dowel drilled through about 150mm from the top to provide a hand-rest for use while the other hand is cutting food etc at table level.

Stick pulley.JPG

I happened to have this pulley in the shed; from sailing days. The advantage of this pulley is that it rotates through several different axes, so it is always easy to untangle without having to take the cuffs off. A Shipschandlers would have something similar I guess.

Stick Cleat.JPG

A cleat allows the cord to be 'stowed' for storage. I have changed from cord to 4mm elastic at present, as it allows a bit more flexibility. I suspect that I might one day prefer cord again as things move along.

Stick store.JPG

A hole drilled in the back of the Powerchair armrest is a good place to keep the stick.

I would love to hear if this is helpful to anyone! If you would like to see larger pictures please PM with your email addres.

Last edited:
Roderick, it's a wonderful invention, and I will show this to Phil. I also cannot raise my arms well...Thank you!

Ann

Great idea! I can't eat anyway but I'm thinking maybe I could use a similar idea to help je with raising my arms for suctioning. Trouble is I'm the only one around here who knows how to build anything so I'll have to rely on help. Necessity is the mother of invention and I'm so glad this one works for you!

Barry, You make a good point--being the only one around who builds. I found it stressful when I needed to alter my way of dressing, but no one else sews. Poly fleece can be cut and left unhemmed in a pinch. Phil asked me the other day if I didn't need a cover made for a pillow (coarse covers work well to bolster me in the chair). The traditional crafts are always good to know.

Awesome idea, layout, and explanation with the pics. Kudo's to you for the idea.

What I am looking forward to is the first person who can make one (or get one made) and then corroborate how useful it is! When I use it my arms have almost the same weightless feeling that they have in the hydrotherapy pool.

Roderick- Thank you for sharing...not only are you a good writer, you build/invent! What a help this can be..thank you!

quite creative! thank you for sharing the idea.

Roderick, your invention seems it would not be quite so costly as ordering from a specialty company. However, for those who don't have someone handy in the workshop living nearby, the Sammons Preston catalog has a few different aids. (link posted below) I also remember reading a publication by MDA/ALSA that showed something called the Arm Thing, invented by someone who had ALS. It does not seem like this cost all that much, but I can't lay my hand on it right now...

http://pattersonmedical.com/app.aspx?cmd=get_product&id=44292

Patterson Medical - Dining

Last edited:
Aha! I've found what I was searching for.

Roderick, this is in no way meant to take away from your invention. There are those who don't have access to "handy" people though. Like Ann and Barry have commented, when its the person with ALS who has traditionally been the one to do the building, sewing, home repairs, etc, its nice to know there are resources out there with ready made helping devices.

However, I was wrong about the cost, this Arm Thing does not come cheap. The site does give information on how to measure for it to be custom made to fit though.

MTE Devices - "Making Things Easy!" - THE "ARM THING"

http://www.mtedevices.com/faq.html

Hi,

I just wanted to post about a friend who has ALS and have siginificant arm weakness. She recently went to Mayo Clinic, and they were able to evalute for her to use an exoskleton mobile arm equipment. Here is the link for this equipment:

Welcome to JAECO Orthopedic.com

Watch the video on the right lower hand corner.

In her situation, she came back to her hometown and had her neurologist prescribed this to her (with Mayo Clinic's recommendation). In her case, it took three months, but her insurance ended up paying 100% of the cost ($7,500 bilateral arm supports).

Hope this information is helful.

Bev

Hi Bev,
That is a wonderfull looking gadget on the link you posted! Makes me want to invent something else - but I think its a bit out of my league.

I hope that your husband is doing well. Your little info column says something about being in the midst of testing ... any news yet?
Blessings,
R.

... Like Ann and Barry have commented, when its the person with ALS who has traditionally been the one to do the building, sewing, home repairs, etc, its nice to know there are resources out there with ready made helping devices...

Quite right Aly; I count myself so fortunate that I can still tinker around. I dont much like the thought that those days will probably draw to a close though! The alternatives, as you noted, are never cheap.

Blessings,
R.

A simple and creative tool - I love it, Roderick! I'll bet your kids scrap over who gets to try it out when you are not using it. I can't wait to see what you make next.

~ Jo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back