Diagnosis
01/2010
Country
US
State
LA
City
Lafayette
Does any one have experience with voice banking programs or eye gaze technology for use on a Mac?

Thanks, Robert

I took a quick look around atmac.org and couldn't find anything particularly helpful for eyegaze. There were some headmouse options, including the SmartNav headmouse system that a lot of us use on PCs. You do need to be able to move your head some in all four directions (up, down, left, and right) to use a headmouse.

As for voice banking, you should be able to record words and phrases using any kind of sound recording software available for the Mac. Putting together an interface to access those recordings when needed is more tedious than difficult and I think there are some tools to do that on the Mac.

Overall, though, there are a lot more choices, free and paid, for these PALS' needs available for PCs than for Macs.

Hmmm....good to know for those of us thinking on iPads.

Does that mean getting an IPad is not so good an idea because you are more limited in software, or are there software that work with IPads? I was thinking of getting one to carry around when not at home using the dynavox VMax.

Does that mean getting an IPad is not so good an idea because you are more limited in software, or are there software that work with IPads? I was thinking of getting one to carry around when not at home using the dynavox VMax.

My personal opinion is that iPads have far too limited choices in software and compatible peripheral hardware to be anything more than a very short-term option for a PALS' computer needs. Once your hands go away (as mine have), you're screwed on the iPad, at least from everything I've been able to determine. Not financially practical in my view when there are comparably priced, yet more flexible and expandable alternatives.

The current crop of Windows netbooks are built on platforms that are more powerful than the ones behind most of the special purpose devices like Dynavox. They are small, lightweight, cost no more than the iPad. Several of our members here have adapted them readily for use as a portable speech device and even as a primary computer. Do a search here on the site for netbooks, check Joel's website, or find some of BarryG's posts where he has described what he has done to make a Windows netbook into a speech device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back