Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
NC
City
Raleigh
You may have heard of virtual keyboards controlled by thought, brain-powered wheelchairs, and neuro-prosthetic limbs. But powering these machines can be downright tiring, a fact that prevents the technology from being of much use to people with disabilities, among others. Professor Jose del R. Millan and his team at the Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL) in Switzerland have a solution: engineer the system so that it learns about its user, allows for periods of rest, and even multitasking.

Read the rest --> Brain-Computer Interfaces Taken To The Next Phase

Good article. I am currently testing a headset and program that uses brain waves/impulses to type on the computer. Like most new gadgets, it takes getting use too but does not tire me as quickly as typing with one hand and three fingers!

I have met with the developers and made some recommendations for improvements of ease of use found lacking in their prototype. Final product is much better and I see great possibilities for me in the fiuture. "Thinking for Independence" is no longer sci-fi. :)

That's great Diane, where can others find such a computer? I am very interested in learning more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back