Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
TH
State
Phuket
City
Patong
Can somebody direct me to where I can download free an onscreen keyboard? I have found a couple but they start out free but then want money after a few weeks.

On windows XP go Start, All Programs, Accessories, Accessibility, On Screen Keyboard. Not sure the exact route to the on screen keyboard in other versions of windows but it is there.

Can somebody direct me to where I can download free an onscreen keyboard? I have found a couple but they start out free but then want money after a few weeks.
The best one I have found is Click-N-Type.

It is smaller than the native Windows one. It has predictive word completion. I can't say that it is very good in English but seems a bit better in German. Of course, German is more regular in its spelling and sentence structure.

I recommend that you at least try what I am using to write this. And that is Dasher. It is hard to describe exactly how it works. It is better to see it for yourself. You only have to be able to move a mouse up and down with it. And for me it is two to three times faster than using the on screen keyboards. I warn you that it takes a little practice and it is easy to get frustrated in the beginning. People have a tendency to move the mouse too abruptly in the beginning.

What I do is put the Dasher screen in the lower right corner of my 1080p display. Then I put Click-N-Type "Program Preferences" "Only show Title Bar when not in use" on. This makes Click-N-Type roll up to just the title bar when the cursor is not on the keyboard. I place the Click-N-Type keyboard screen above the Dasher screen so that the Click-N-Type title bar is just above the Dasher screen when it is rolled up. When I need to use the keyboard I just move the cursor to the Click-N-Type title bar and the keyboard unrolls covering the Dasher screen.

Dasher is wonderful at writing but a bear to use for editing. That is what I use the Click-N-Type keyboard for. It is also easier to use the keyboard for "control C" to copy or to use the function keys.

Using this combination I can write programs. I program in C#, Ruby and Visual Foxpro.

Both of these are free to the disabled.

Thanks I will try the Dasher.

My computer disintegrated a week or so ago and had to be rebuilt and I don't think they installed a complete version of Windows X. P. as the 2 previous suggestions just don't work for me. I get as far as accessories but then there is no accessibility and I tried putting osk in Run and nothing was found.

A friend has installed Dragon naturally speaking on my computer which I am finding very useful as I only have to speak into a microphone and it types out what I am saying as long as I have said it is clear enough. I do want the on-screen keyboard option available to though.

Cool. I'm just learning Dasher, which I think is loads of fun. As Simpdon says, it's great for text but not so good at the rest of the keyboard . It's finally learning, for example, that I require two spaces at the end of a sentence, after the period. Up until recently I've had to really fight for the second one.
Copying, pasting, highlighting, deleting, all that kind of stuff is beyond my current skill level.
Click-N-Type might be just the right thing.
By the way, using "English with numerals and limited punctuation," I couldn't do "Click-N-Type." Couldn't find the dash.
So I copied and pasted.

By the way, using "English with numerals and limited punctuation," I couldn't do "Click-N-Type." Couldn't find the dash.
So I copied and pasted.

Try the "English with numerals and lots of punctuation" setting for your Dasher alphabet. If you are still using the default Dasher color scheme, the punctuation will show up in the green area.

I use Dasher for first draft typing and correct my work using Click-N-Type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back