Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lafayette Hill
Hey guys (and gals in the know)-

Shopping for an electric shaver and need some suggestions, advice & tips.
No one on either side of our families uses one, so no help there. Would like to hear what brand you like (is one better than another?); are there certain "features" I should be aware of? (just to clarify, this is for Jim-:shock:) Or, they're all the same- just plug it in & shave?

I figured Santa doesn't know about these either, so it's up to me!
Hope this doesn't rate as a "worst gift ever". :razz:

There is a huge difference between them. You will have to pay around $200.00 for one that will work properly. The Philips with 3 heads that is being advertised right now on TV (at least in our area) is the best we have found. I can't remember the model, will have to get someone to look.

Ours are made by Phillips/Norelco. I bought one for my legs when shin bones were getting nicked. I hated it and thought it did a terrible job. About 6 months later, Phil unknowingly bought it's twin for himself and likes it just fine. Turned out it's the user at fault. Phil can shave my legs great. There are three heads, it can be opened and rinsed under the faucet, and most importantly I'm sure--it's blue in color. LOL.

Last edited:
Marianne, electric is all I have ever used in almost 40 years of shaving so I guess I have experience. I use a triple head rotary Phillips cordless and it has always done a good job, is comfortable and easy to use.

OK, so it looks like Phillips is the leader; and that they all have 3 heads :)shock:)
Big difference between Ann's $35 shaver & Joel's $200. I don't mind spending the money to get a good one that will last & do a good job (thinking I might be able to find on sale now).

Joel & Barry- I would be interested in the model (if you get a chance & if it isn't too much trouble). Ann- we have a Target close by; I'll check it out! (and pick up another toy for Lucy!)

Thanks! Anyone else?

Thanks, Joel! ;)

Well Joel's is way more fancy than mine, his looks like something Captain Kirk would use on the Enterprise! I think mine was about $100 when I bought it 5 years ago. What I like about mine is: it is cordless, holds a charge for a week and charges quickly, it is comfortable and light with little vibration in the hand, easy to clean and the can be cleaned with water under the tap, and it has a flip out trimmer for those oh-so-appealing nose and ear hairs (but I don't have those :shock::shock:)

Oh, and mine is blue too!

This is what I have
HQ8150/33 SHAVER 3HD FUSION SEALED - Philips Support

Last edited:
I have tried other makes and models with no success. My beard is curly and this make and model is the only one that works well enough that my wife and caregivers can shave me successfully. If a persons beard is straight a less expensive model will work just fine. But I would still recommend a Philips Norelco with triple heads. I wish I could get all my money back that I spent on cheaper models and makes that did not work for me.

Ours look like Barry's but without the base.

i cant help you here so i guess i shouldnt even be posting. i use a regular razor on my PALS.
wondering why i cant use an electric one now though.... hmm.

Liz-
I have shaved men with a regular razor too. My husband mentioned that he might want to start getting use to using one; his hands are a little shakey & he is having some thumb "stiffness". He could continue to do this himself for awhile with an electric shaver, I think.
And maybe he doesn't trust me with the regular razor? :lol:

I have tried various brands including Braun but about a year ago I bought the triple rotary head Philips/Norelco 8170-XL Speed-XL Shaver (Factory Refurbished) at Amazon.com for $90. What can I say, I'm in love. It is very light, very quiet, does a much better job than any electric shaver I've use before, is fast (30 seconds vs 2-3 minutes with Braun) and the charge lasts a full month. With the Braun I had to shave manually once a week to catch the spots that the Braun missed. I was initially concerned about the word "refurbished" but it came as a brand new, never been used unit. Sadly it is black and silver not blue but it does have cool blue, green and orange lights when it is running.

One of my helpers offered to shave me with a razor but as I have never shaved with one I declined her offer. What I often so with my electric is I hold it steady with two hands and move my head, it is much easier that way with weak arms.

This is the one I got for Jim. His face is very sensitive - this dispenses lotion. It is kinda a pain in the butt to have to stock up on the lotion but we tried 2 or 3 different models before getting this. He loves it and it does a good job.

It's from Walmart and called: Philips Norelco Nivea For Men Electric Razor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back