Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lafayette Hill
Had a family wedding in FL this month & we really wanted to go. This was the first time to fly with Jim in a PWC, and we were concerned about taking his loaner chair due to the problems we had with it in the summer.

Our chapter suggested we get in touch with the ALSA in FL (located in Tampa), about recommendations where we could rent a w/c & van while there.
We did, and the people there couldn't have been nicer or more helpful! They provided a loaner w/c for us- even checked about Jim's height & weight to get the correct size, and the type of chair he is currently using- as well as a rollator to use in the hotel room bathroom. (mainly to sit at the sink to shave, etc.)

Also gave us the name of a van company- Auto Mobility (several locations in FL)- to rent a van. They were terrific as well, saying they would pick-up the w/c & rollator from the DME people. They delivered the van, with the equipment, to the airport- met us at the curb outside the baggage claim area- couldn't have been easier!

So, a great big THANKS to Jessica & Lisa at ALSA in Tampa, and to Bob at Auto Mobility, (figure he deserves a plug!) who privided us with a new Chrysler Town&Country ramp van, complete with quick-lock tie downs (very easy to use, by the way!)

So, keep in mind if you are traveling (maybe over the holidays?)- whether it is flying or driving, check with the ALSA chapter at the destination area. Perhaps instead of "lugging" all your equipment with you, they might be able to help out with loaner equipment during your stay!

Thanks for the tip. I really had not thought about that. We drove to FL on Oct. since the doctor advised Serena not to fly with her FVC so low. If she gets anther wild hair and decides to go somewhere else I will be sure and get in touch with the ALSA at our destination. Thanks.

Thanks for mentioning that Marianne. It works in Canada too. I flew to BC to visit my daughter in July and could only take my small scooter. The local ALS Society of BC provided them with a large scooter so I could get around outside as well. Thoughtful of her to think of that and of the ALS Society to provide it. I've also borrowed stuff in Arizona. I pick up and drop off the stuff there because otherwise ALSA is charged a hefty delivery fee.

Thanks for the great info. Nice to hear of people being so helpful to Pals and Cals, great info, and it will surely prove helpful for many of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back