Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
ga
City
North East
At support group today there was a conversation on car insurance and wheelchairs. When I came home I have called several car insurance companies and DME companies. This is what I found out. When you call to put coverage on the van and they run the VIN# the value is AS IT CAME FROM THE FACTORY unless you tell them it is adapted (whether that was ramps or speakers and such) and possible additional cost. Call your agent to find out what you need to do.

The chairs are NOT covered under car coverage but homeowner's or renter's as a rider (like you would do jewelry, painting and furs).

If damaged or totaled you can file to Medicare or other insurance to access the damage but possible it will be denied.

This may not be something you have thought of so be aware.

This is really good to know, Georgia. I had no idea on insuring the chair, and I really doubt the medical insurance would do anything but maybe laugh? Or politely say... whatever. Whew. Thank you.
Ann

Finally, they suggested I start to research what my car would be worth in light of a settlement offer being made. Apparently I should get evidence of what my car would be worth, so that when they make a settlment offer I've got something to counter their offer with!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back