Diagnosis
04/2008
Country
US
State
New Mexico
City
Albuquerque
My speech has gotten bad in the past few months. I'm now looking to get an AAC. I have heard and read good things about Proloquo2Go. I read that the version for iPad is enchanced. I have an iPad which my husband and I use often when we don't feel like getting out a laptop or going to our desktop. But the iPad is a bit heavy and I'm think of getting an iPod Touch. I'm thinking about downloading the app for both devices. Please anyone share your experiences with Proloquo2Go.

Sarah, sorry about your speech. I sure know what that is about! I have been using Proloquo2Go on my IPod touch for about 8 months now and it is great. The only problem is that the sound is not very good from the built in speaker on my 3G model, maybe the 4th generation is better? I purchased a small flat speaker and velcroed it to the back of the Ipod and it has lots of volume.

One small problem I noticed on my 8gb IPod is that I would type something in and press speak and instead of speaking the program would crash and close. I talked to the Proloquo2Go people and they told me to clear the recent text from the program memory and do a shutdown and restart of the IPod. If I do do this then it is ok for a day or so. It might be a problem only with the 8gb model I don't know but if I was going to get another I would get the 32 or 64 gb model.

The only other issue is the small keyboard which can be problem for failing fingers but the new OS coming soon will allow a Bluetooth connection to a keyboard so that may be an option but it kind of takes away from the portability of the device.

I am sure you won't be disappointed with the program or the IPod. It is my away from home voice it sure works a lot better than my $5000 DynaVox Palmtop3.

I have the IPOD TOUCH 64G with that software. I never had any errors, as the 32 & 64G models have the newer chipset.

The only drawback I ran into was the keyboard. Fat Fingers and lack of dexterity moved me to getting the IPAD 64G WiFi model. Yes, its a bit pricey, but nowhere even near the cost of those Dynavox devices. Its louder and the keyboard is perfect foe me.

Glen

Hi Sarah, Glen and Barry, I am a writer for the Muscular Dystrophy Association's ALS newsmagazine, and I am working on a story on how the iPad works as a communications device. You three seem very much in the know about this device and I'd like to be in e-mail contact with you to get some more info on this subject. If possible, please e-mail me directly at [email protected] so I can ask you a few simple questions about your experiences and whether you would recommend the iPad to a person diagnosed with ALS or not. Thanks much, Miriam Davidson

Being that the iPad is a lot cheaper and function better than the Dynavox, would you guys recommended it for an AAC device instead?

Peter, I would. I dont have an iPad but my iPod Touch with Proloquo2Go is a much better system (for about $500) compared to my $5000 Dynavox Palmtop3 (which cost me $500 after a provincial government subsidy).

I cant comment on the iPad's sound volume or clarity but others here have said that it was good.

Thanks BarryG. Its nice to know that one does not have to spend all that money when there is something that is cheaper and will do the same thing. But being that an ipod Touch is so much smaller than an ipad, wouldn't an ipad be better?

In even the thought of needing a devise to speak for me as I have bulbar symptoms but have arm onset. What do you do if you cannot type or speak? Of course this is in my future but good to be informed.

If you can't use your hand/arms and need a speaking device then the options are reduced. I have a free program on my netbook called CameraMouse (just google it) that uses the built in webcam to move the cursor around by telling the program to focus on a part of my face. When I move my head the cursor moves and I can select letters on an onscreen keyboard or through another interface program like Dasher. Joel has more experience with this than me because I can still type and haven't practiced.

Other than that there is the Dynavox EyeGaze system which I have no experience with at all.

I don't know of any apps for the iPod/iPhone/iPad for someone who can't type but things change so fast now that you never know what they will come up with next.

I have an Iphone with prologuoto2go on it. It is great for when i am out in public or just talking to someone near by. i use it at the grocery store for my deli order or to ask questions. If people cannot hear it they just read what I have typed.
NancyS

Peter, you asked whether an iPad would be better than an iPod because it is bigger. Well, yes an iPad is bigger and has a larger keyboard so it is easier to type but because the iPod/iPhone is smaller it is easier to carry around, you can just slip it into your pocket so it is always with you.

So it is a trade off, size vs ease of use. It all depends on what you need and can use.

My husband used iPod touch then later iPhone with Proloq2Go for 2 years. At first, he carried it on a lanyard around his neck, then later when he was in a power chair we used velcro to attach the iPhone to his tray of his power chair and he chatted away until he could no longer move his thumb.

Also, there is software/hardware you can get called RedEye and Dave used on his iPhone to operate our TV, DVR, & DVD player. Plus "AirMouse" app that you can use (super cheap, $5 or less I think) to operate the mouse/keyboard on your computer.

iPad is cool, but it would never have worked for Dave when the muscles in his arm went. No way to move across the big screen to type. Just 1 finger moving across a small screen worked great for him!

Lisa
P.S. I got his iPod touch when he upgraded to the iPhone ;). Plus it served as a backup if we were out if the iPhone battery died.

Glad to see all the feedback on this, my girlfriend and I were discussing this week getting an iPad for her father and didn't know how useful they would be. He's been hesitant to spend money on one, but it sounds well worth it, and should help a lot with the frustration he's had as his speech has declined.

One thing we've wondered, does it make a difference if you get a 3G compatible iPad or not? The cost spikes sharply when you add 3G in, and a 32GB iPad without 3G would be a lot more cost-efficient for us than a 64GB with 3G. But if a couple hundred bucks makes a significant difference, I think we can splurge.

Hi Barry, thank you for mentioning about the mouse. It's exactly what I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back