09/2007
Country
US
State
WI
City
Madison
All,

I am in the game for getting my first BiPAP! One of the hardest and the most important decision I've to make is decide on the kind of mask to use. Do the veterans here have tips on how to choose a perfect mask?

Nishant

Well, first, don't let the home care person who brings out your machine try to fit you in a hurry and then leave! After you have preliminary decision, I'd lay down with it on while the RT is still there, and make sure there are no gaps leaking air or pain.... and by this I mean ANY air or ANY discomfort. It should be leak tight and comfortable.

If you keep your mouth closed when you sleep, you probably don't need a mask that covers your nose and mouth both.

I dislike the nasal pillow style (personally) they hurt my nose. I use the nasal mask which is shaped like a triangle and fits over my entire nose. It has a gel insert (IMHO very important for comfort) I think its made by Respironics, but other manufacturers have them too. But, with a nasal mask, reading glasses don't work... some masks are quieter than others, due to better management of the air blowing out the vent. If you sleep in bed with someone else, this is an important consideration too.

To a lesser extent, the type of headgear strap configuration also affects how much you will like it ... comfort... *how bad your "headgear hair" looks in the morning 8)

You could go online to a site such as cpap supply, etc, and look at the various choices. Same masks are used for cpap as bipap.

Don't settle for what you're not sure of. If the mask you opt for does not work right, call the provider back and have the RT come back out again.

Same goes for the machine pressure settings, until you're used to it, you'll probably want a long ramp up time to full pressure. Ask if your machine is set to the max or not for this. Understanding about your machine's humidifier is important too, and what setting you should start out with (that is easy to change even in the dark at night, just a twist of a knob)

When I finally found the right mask, and machine was set correctly, it made such a huge difference, and I don't even consider laying down without it. Even if I get up early to let the cat in and dog out, I put it back on again to snooze a while.

good luck!

Last edited:
My wife has used a nose mask for two years. She did not want a face mask. It made her feel claustraphobic. You might tell the people that you want the option of testing both kinds and see which you prefer. Good luck!

Rose is correct.

Take a pillow with you or ask that one be available if you meet outside your home. A mask will fit differently when you are sitting up and lying down.

Also, if you have to tighten the mask down a lot so that it stops leaking air, it may not be the right fit.

I use the Resmed Mirage Ultra II full face mask.

The masks really do fit differently depending on whether the person is sitting up or laying down.

I finally had a "Eureka" moment, and marked with a permanent pen on my headgear straps where the straps should be adjusted to. It only took me about 18 months to think of doing this LOL.

As an aside, my neighbor across the street uses one for sleep apnea, and she has the nasal prongs, or maybe pillow(?) She told me she knows the mask has made her nostrils bigger, and I kind of thought she was joking, but she said she knew it for sure, because she used to not be able to stick her finger in her nose, and now it fits nicely. (thought you guys would enjoy that) :twisted:

I am just getting used to the Bipap. This is my third week. However there is a complication with the mask. The bridge of my nose gets a lot of pressure and is swollen by the middle of the night. I have tried a piece of cotton, a piece of tape and cotton, nothing seems to work. I have a Resmed Mirage Ultra II, size small. The adjustments all went out of whack after the first cleaning, but also I was not using it as much the first couple of weeks.

Your idea of using permanent marker to mark the adjustments is excellent.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Any suggestions?

Hi Moe. I'm thinking that on the forehead piece on your mask, is there a button to move the forehead bar in and out? Have you tried another position on the bar to put the nose part away from your nose while still sealing. It's possible you might need the next size up in the mask. Straps could be too tight as well.

AL

Moe, I had a similar problem with that mask and ended up with a different style. I was told though that the dr can order a pad or cushion for your nose. It is made of a gel type material so is very soft. I never got one and ended up switching masks but you might want to ask about it.

Hi Moe. I'm thinking that on the forehead piece on your mask, is there a button to move the forehead bar in and out? Have you tried another position on the bar to put the nose part away from your nose while still sealing. It's possible you might need the next size up in the mask. Straps could be too tight as well.

AL

I have adjusted the forehead button all the way out with no luck. i suspect that the mask may be wrong size. My bill shows medium but the mask size is small. Thank you for the tips.

Moe

I use a CPAP machine and use the Resmed Quatro full mask in a medium size.

I've found that they work very well for me, as I breath through my mouth as much as through my nose. I've been using one for the past 3 years and have logged in thousands of hours of mask time during that period.

Check out cpap.com, then click on the forum. Tons of very knowledgeable people over at that forum who can answer lots of questions. They also regularly test different products in head-to-head competitions to see which works best for most people.

Other tips:

Purchase or make a pillow that gives cutouts for the mask. That helps a ton unless you are a back sleeper, then no need. We picked up a pillow from Sears (Certa memory foam model) then started modifying it for my use. We cut out the sides into an hour-glass shape for mask clearance, then built up the bottom (I have large shoulders, I wear a size 50 men's coat!) so my neck wasn't all crinked. That makes a huge difference!

Have your wife, or someone, make you a wrap for your air hose. My wife made one that is crocheted and another out of fleece. Both are great. They stop the "rain out" that comes when the warm air from the machine hits the cooler room air so you don't get a wet face, and also stop some of the noise from sleeping with a plastic hose attached to your face.

Same with the straps... You can purchase (cpap.com) soft covers for the straps as they come across your face, or make them. My wife makes them for me out of fleece. LOVE THEM! No more strap marks in the morning, and I can tighten up the mask a bit more than I otherwise would.

As for the issues with nose pain, many folks use a product called "mole skin". It is a soft bandage material that will give you a cushion. Some also get the silicone mold-able ear plugs and use the silicone in the bridge of the nose area to create a custom seal that doesn't hurt.

Best, however, is to keep trying masks until you find one that fits and works. There are a bunch of them out there, so keep looking!

Nose bridge: try 1-3 layers of Transpore tape (sold in drug stores)
Try a curved pillow like Snoozerpedic Big Curve or a comma pillow if you have the room, if you like to switch from back to side sleeping
Get a mask with "set and forget" headgear
If you are fitted by an RT, switch positions several times while the machine is on, to test the mask. Cough as part of the test, if you cough at night.

For my husband the solution has been several different masks he rotates. It prevents pressure sores. He loves the one with the gel the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back