Diagnosis
7/2008
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anytown
I don't know if anyone else does this: It always bothered me trying to soak the hose in a bucket. Its messy, water everywhere, running up my arms getting my clothes and floor wet. Not efficient (although maybe I've never had a big enough bucket) What I think I need, is one of those organizer devices for mop and broom handles, the wall mounted clamps. But, I don't have one, if I ever remember to get one, what I'll do is have it mounted in the shower. But, I digress. My lo-tech method, ever since the weather has been warm, is pour the solution into the hose, filling it to the brim, take it out to the deck and hook it onto my easel with a rubber band. No particular reason for the easel, other than that its there. I let it hang there for a while; then, when I'm ready to rinse it, I run water through it by sticking one end of the hose onto the kitchen sink faucet, then hang it over the deck rail to dry.

Another plus, as its not getting dunked into water, I can leave the insulator cover on the hose, and while its hanging outside, it gets that nice sunshine and fresh air smell to the fabric. :)

Attachments

• bipap hose holder.jpg
    bipap hose holder.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,234
Rose, that is a cool method. What solution do you use to clean it? I have had mine for a month now and all I have been doing is rinsing the hose with hot water every day and hanging to dry. Same with the mask, I clean the silicone with some glycerin soap and air dry every day. Should I be doing more?

When I first got mine, a nurse friend insisted I use this disinfectant solution. However, most of the medical home care folks, and forum members just said use white vinegar in water. (1X weekly) The thing about the disinfectant, is that it does not fight mold, which is the primary reason of washing it; more so than germs per se. So, (I've still got oodles of the disinfectant left) I use it sometimes to soak my mask and the water reservoir in, and while I have it mixed up I clean my finches' water bottle and bird bath, and the dog's water dispenser thing (whatever its called) But, the hose, I just put a couple of tablespoons of white vinegar into a (lightweight LOL) pitcher with a spout, and pour it into the hose. Sometimes, when I'm extra lazy, I just pour the vinegar into the empty hose, then hold one end onto the sink faucet til it fills up. Actually, I must be lazy frequently, because that happens a lot . :) Like you, I wash my mask daily with mild soapy water and air dry, and rinse out the reservoir. Whatever distilled water is leftover in the reservoir goes to water the orchids :)

I think the vinegar solution should soak for about a half hour, but I'm not sure. Others will know. That's about how long I leave it (while I'm cleaning all of the a fore mentioned items)

Last edited:
It is funny how we all have our system. I also wash my hubby's hose with vinegar. I mean his bi pap hose...
I leave it hanging for the day..and then use a hair dryer if not completely dry. I also wash his mask with the vinegar! Learn lots of great tips on this site!
Glenn..did you catch that?
Dick..I am sure you caught that!

And the thing doesn't smell like vinegar and give you dreams of pickles?

I don't wash Rick's very often,( once a month maybe) but when I do, I just use liquid dish detergent and hot water in the sink... put the mask right in too... and the chin strap... and sozzle it around a couple minutes... rinse with warm clear water and hang inside the house to dry. It's dry by bedtime. He has never had any colds or infections that we could blame on a dirty hose... and we have used the same one for almost 3 years.... have a new one ready in the drawer but haven't needed it. He never sleeps without his bipap all night and for naps. He doesn't use a humidifier because we keep the air moist instead (in winter.)

Barry....that is funny!

My husband is still on the Cpap. Like Marjorie, I rarely ever wash it. My husband never did (he was on it before he was symptomatic of ALS)Could we be causing a problem and not know it? What would be the signs?

Missy the washing is very important as CPAP and BIPAP users are more susceptible to chest infections and pneumonia due to the bacteria that can live in the tubing. I wash hubby's tubing every morning at the kitchen sink running hot water through the hoses, sometimes I use a little dish soap and flush until no more soap, and once a week soak them in a weak vinegar solution. I wash the mask with soapy water each day as oils from the face keep it from getting a good seal. I just put a towel beneath a kitchen cupboard door and drape the hoses over the door to dry--a hair dryer gets them dry quickly if you need them asap. My husband did have an incident of pneumonia which was likely because we weren't washing things out daily.
Laurel

Mine get washed once a week. We have been doing this for 3 years and have never had a problem.

I will start a schedule of washing them. My husband has never had a problem, but I'll make sure to stay on top of it.

Mine are rinsed daily in warm water, mask, humidifier and hose. Once a week mask taken apart and warm soapy wash. Good rinse then vinegar water bath for 20 min or so and good rinse and let air dry.

AL.

It is funny how we all have our system. I also wash my hubby's hose with vinegar.
Glenn..did you catch that?
Dick..I am sure you caught that!

Ahem , NO I don't want to catch that with or without vinegar. How did this strange ritual cum to be?

I keep the vinegar for the kitchem sink, which is filled with hot water and I soak everything except the head band. Humidifier, hose , mask are disassembled any left to soak.

All of the pieces are then rinsed and dried. For the hose I go into the garage or outside, grab it in the middle letting the two ends hang free, and spin them in a circle, letting centrifugal force take most of the water out. then just hang it somewhere. I do not hang it outside because of allergies to pollen.

Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back