Diagnosis
11/2009
Country
US
State
South Dakota
City
Custer
I came across a futuristic type of communication device that is AMAZING and thought I would share ... I found it when diversifying some investments and figure it might be something my ALS family would be interested in learning about. I'm sure it is cost prohibitive for most of us and doubt insurance pays. And, you may already have seen it. To me it was mind boggling. (hee hee)

It is the jedi mind device and can be researched on a site of the company called Jedi Mind Inc. I'm not sure I can post the link so this might help you narrow your search if you want to take a look.

Diane

I've looked into this technology a bit, what they call brain computer interface or BCI. I've even ordered a headset from Emotiv. It is supposed to come in a couple of weeks. Just want to play with it. One of the perks of ALS for gadget lovers.

From what I've read, these devices are better at responding to electrical signals from your scalp and face muscles rather than the deeper and fainter brain waves. Also, for a PALS who has lost speech and muscle control below the neck, I think eye gaze will be a faster and more accurate way to communicate, if that is an option. Still BCI might work as a last ditch communication method for people who can no longer use eye gaze. And with improved technology it may become more efficient. Good to know that the option may be available down the line.

As much as I would love to have a better way to communicate than by typing out everything I want to say I would sure not want anything that would read my mind! Toooo embarrasing! :shock::shock:

yeah, Barry...that nice guy facade would be totally blown! :cool:

I've been keeping my eye on this thing (the Emotiv Epoc headset) too. It definitely has more possibilities than just for communication. There's a guy that has already used this to control a robotic arm, and has used it to control a power wheelchair.

He's also used it to run Dasher as a head mouse using the built-in gyroscope.

Here's a couple of his videos on YouTube (if I manage to paste these links correctly):
YouTube- EPOC Mind controlled Robot

YouTube- handsfree Typing with EPOC & Dasher

It is a company in startup mode... I think it remains to be seen if they will be successful in the long run.

Brian

Oh I don't know...a little view into Barry's mind might be interesting, if not anything else, it would be entertaining! :)

Diane, thanks for the info. I will look in to it and see what it's all about. My mom might need something like it in the near future.

Linda, it would have to be a "little" view because my face is red already! :oops::oops:

Barry, I absolutely adore you! My world would be a much sadder place if it weren't for you. :p

Thanks Linda, I needed that today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back