Diagnosis
5/2008
Country
US
State
Ga
City
Snellville
I have looked online, and the one I think I need is $165! Its just a power cord! I want one so I can use it in my camper without running a generator all night. Anyone know where I can get one for a honest price?
Thanks, Phil

Is it an inverter to change 12 volts DC to 110 volts AC? If so then it is more than a cord but you can get an inverter from and automotive supply store for a lot cheaper. My Bipap draws about 100 watts with the humidifier on medium (and 10 watts without the humidifier) so there are a lot of options, just make sure your camper batteries are good.

Not a converter...I can get a cord with just gator clips for $25. I have the Respironics ST

That Bipap runs off both AC and DC? Cool! So it needs a special connector cord to run off of 12V and they want $165 for the cord. What king of connection does it need to the machine?

Sorry, I am a tinkerer and love to work with a soldering gun.

That Bipap runs off both AC and DC? Cool! So it needs a special connector cord to run off of 12V and they want $165 for the cord. What king of connection does it need to the machine?

Sorry, I am a tinkerer and love to work with a soldering gun.

I don't recognize the connector....

They do that on purpose to get your $165! Is there a picture on a website?

Barry and Phil,

The Respironics ST actually runs off 26 volts DC, 2.3A. That $165 "power cord" is actually a DC to DC converter, and not just a 12 volt lead.

If you don't want to shell out the bucks for that power adapter, you could use the 12V-120V inverter that Barry recommended above, but I'd recommend getting one that will handle 250 watts or better. I think Respironics recommends that backup power supplies for that machine be able to provide 300 watts.

I keep a couple of Black & Decker Electromate 400 power stations around the house for short-term backup, travelling, etc. I get about 5 hours continuous use on the Respironics ST (no humidifier) from each one, plugged into one of the 120 V outputs. They can be recharged from either 120 or 12 V sources. Cost was about $125 each, available at Lowe's or WalMart. They also have the ability to jump-start a car and a built-in air compressor for inflating tires, so they're not just a one-trick pony.

Hope this helps.

WOW! This looks like Mandarin Chinese to me. Should I even admit that I have no clue what you are talking about? nahhhh You guys really know your stuff!

Do I need to know this? :shock::shock::shock:

Kay Marie, you don't need to know any of this if you don't have a Bipap, you don't ever go camping, you don't ever have a power failure, you don't need to use a Bipap while traveling or you are not a geek that likes to play with power things. If you answer yes to any of the above then these are good things to know.

I decided the other day to buy a powerpack battery unit to power my Bipap (and my suction) in case of a power failure because I was sitting in the dark with no electricity waiting to go to bed. We have a 4000 watt generator in the garage but as we haven't yet found an electrician to connect it to the house it is not very useful (to say nothing of being loud) so the battery pack will keep me going for a few hours.

I don't speak Mandarin Chinese but I do speak Geek (it's a guy thing:lol:)

It is kind of misleading to advertise and list a unit as running off of 12VDC when it is actually 26VDC. It would certainly be easier to find an inverter to change 12VDC to 110VAC than a voltage converter to change 12VDC to 26VDC. My ResMed unit has no DC input option.

One good thing about living outside of North America is that our power is 240 volt.
For all you non Geek people this means we can have smaller power supplies, wiring etc to get the same amount of watts.

A downfall of this is, if we want to buy anything from the US then we need a 240 to 110 converter to use it, or get it rewired.:(

I think Edison and a Berlin electrical company have a lot to answer for, back in the dim dark ages. :lol:

Just don’t get me started on the different plugs and sockets around even for the same voltage :roll: :roll:

Sorry to hijack this thread Phil, but it is a pet hate of mine, having worked on equipment from USA and Europe for many years. (should see the collection of adaptors, plugs, transformers etc i have):lol::lol:

Cheers
Peter

Peter, you are very correct in implying the 220 volt system you have is far superior to the 110 we have. It is also a safer system.

Isn't the Respironics st also capable of being a vent? If I was to vent, would it be sufficient?

Simple answer is "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back