Diagnosis
10/2009
Country
US
State
NY
City
Troy
Hi All. Newbie here. Recently diagnosed ALS. Looking for gadgets to make it easier to use my Albuterol / Flovent inhalers ... been on them for years for asthma. Don't have the strength to hold the puffer steady and squeeze it, even with both hands. May have to have a gadget custom made. Anyone else having this problem? Any solutions?

Check on the page before this one. There is a catalogue of useful items. You might find something there.

AL.

Last edited:
Thanks for the catalog tip.

let me know if you find something...i take advair and that keeps me from needing my rescue inhaler, except during allergy season or if i get a cold...i have a nebulizer to use albuterol/xopenex...not that i can do any of these without help...just the way it is now.

I don't know if this will be helpful but cris posted photos in her album of Earl getting neb treatments combined with his BiPap. If you are not doing neb treatments ask your Dr. for a "spacer". The little can fits into the end of the long plastic cylinder and you inhale the medication from the cylinder. Very easy if you have trouble coordinating the squeeze and inhale!

Thank you. My doc suggested a spacer as well. Improvised. I found that if I brace the top of the puffer against a door hook for coats, and hold it with both hands, I can push the bottom to puff it. Devised a table top gadget today to hold the canister so I can puff it. ( paper towel holder, duct tape, and a wooden spoon to pull the canister down.) Necessity is the mother of invention.

Update. Got creative. Discovered that if I stand against the curved bottom of a coat hook on a door, I can then lean against the hook with the top of the inhaler, and push with both thumbs to dispense ... looks like I'm getting kinky with the door, but it works.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Also rigged up a table version.

Duct taped an Albuterol puffer to a chrome table top paper towel holder, I can
lean against it, and using a wooden spoon handle, pull down on the canister to
dispense.

I do agree with your opinions.Thanks for your appreciation.I really appreciate for giving this information.Very well said, thanks for all.I will try my best.I expect you will also give this type of information in future.

I use my inhaler meds via a nebulizer, much more efficient delivery system. Ask your doc to order one and to order your meds in vials.
You just have to breathe them in.
Pat

There is a fairly new asthma drug on the market, Singulair. It is supposed to be very effective and reduce your need for inhalers.

My husband used to be on it and it would relax his smooth muscles enough for it to be a problem. He does not have ALS but just posting this as an experience we had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back