Diagnosis
09/2005
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Abbotsford
I post this as a consideration for those that can't afford to purchase a lift and for those that don't have access to an ALS Society loan closet.

We were fortunate to have one donated to us. If that did not happen we were looking at over $10,000.00. Totally ridiculous. I did a lot of thinking about how to build an affordable one before we were blessed by this donation.

Anyway, what I would have done is this:
Use 3 inch "I" beam, we can purchase a 24 foot length for $110.00
Go to Canadian Tire (or similar supply store) and purchase a 12 volt winch, they are very small, rated for 2000 pounds and cost $100.00
Then purchase a trolley for $75.00. This runs on the "I" beam.

So, for about $300.00 you can have a sturdy lift system. The only thing to keep in mind is it may be hard to get professional caregivers to use it. But we can't afford professional, high priced, caregivers and everyone else has no problem using it.

The only other thing you will need is a small 12 volt battery, they cost $20.00.

Thank you so much Joel!

My husband has been saying all along that he (or not really him, but his friends) could put together and install a lift. He used to own an industrial radiator shop that took big rig radiators and put them in a chemical bath to clean. He had a lift built for that so he figures he could have one built for him. But what do you use to actually lift the body? Can you buy that separate from the lift system?

We also have another problem in the positioning of an I beam. We have a tray ceiling in the bedroom, so it's not a solid surface ceiling to attach to. Any ideas?

I have lots of ideas! It would be an easy fix but I would need to see how your ceiling goes in relation to the bed and toilet.

A sling would be purchased separately and would be the as if you had an expensive lift system. The sling we purchased, you can see on our website, was $350.00 - more than the cost of the ceiling track! LOL

OK. I will see if I can get some pics together and PM you. We may have to just totally lose some furniture. Maybe tomorrow I can take the pics and figure out how to get them loaded. Thanks!

Not saying it's a bad idea, and I have some ideas for a rig to take me from sitting to standing, but keep in mind that those small winches and even chain hoists are not man-rated. The small winches have a freewheel lever on them, that if accidently bumped would have you on the floor in a hurry. If you are going to do this, I'd get a 2000lb electric chain hoist and run it on your manual trolley. If your insurance agent sees something like this, he'll have a heart attack. But not criticising this, I'd likely do the same thing. If I owned this house, I'd have a cage built, a 2500lb electric hoist, stairs torn out, and have me a makeshift elevator for three floors including the basement. Check out Harbor Freight, they have trolleys, and small electric chain hoists.

Neccessity is the mother of invention....And I are an engineer....

Oh yes, you can have someone with a big rolling rig bend curves in your 3-4" I-beam.
Perry

Even the commercial, expensive, lift motors have free wheeling levers as well so no difference there. My Voyager lift motor that retails for $5,000.00 is like this.

Thank you for letting us all know we have other options to the high cost systems. My question is more about what exactly you do with the lift. For example, at what point do I know that I'm going to need something similiar for my husband? He's had 3 falls in just the one week. Today he told me that his fall from yesterday, he thinks he has a concussion. He gets around with a rollator walker, which is only because he won't succumb to a wheelchair. But, when he falls down, I'm not able to lift him up. He weights 200 lbs and I'm only 125. I've had to call my brother-in-law every time to drive over to our house and pick him up. Does anyone have any advice to knowing when you need some help?

I think you have already answered your question.

If he is falling he needs to start using a wheelchair before he does some serious damage to himself or you.

When he can no longer transfer safely it is time for a lift. When I say transfer I mean between a wheelchair and the toilet or wheelchair to bed.

I hope you have success convincing him to start using a wheelchair. If he breaks something because of being too stubborn to use a wheelchair it takes forever to heal. And it does not heal property.

You will know when you need help.

Hey Debruh,

Ask him what it will take for him to accept a wheelchair ? He already has done the concussion thing , next time could be much worse.

I was stubborn like him , and I have a bad knee because of it. A power wheelchair , once fitted correctly , gives so much more freedom.

Debruh-

I see your husband is young! I bet that rollator doesn't have flames on it! A wheelchair can! Also, he can take the kids for a real fun ride! it takes a long while to get a custom measured PWC, so the sooner the better! he doesn't have to use it all the time!

Joel- sorry your thread got hi-jacked! I'm still going to get some pics of the bdrm. It may be after the weekend. Thanks for all your help!

Debruh, we've been told that we need a Hoyer lift for getting me up after a fall. I've looked at Hoyer lifts, and it's my opinion that the provider goes to Harbor Freight or somewhere similar, buys an engine lift for under $200.00, puts a spreader on it for your sling, and sells it for probably over a thousand. I'm thinking I can find a friend who can loan me an engine lift for the time we'll need it.

Brilliant. I have friends here who used the same winch idea (the kind used for taking engines out of cars) to make a stair lift for next to nothing

Until my husband finally agreed to use the wheelchair, he had a number of falls. If no one is around to help you, call the fire department, tell them it is not an emergency, they come without sirens and lift you to where you need to be at no charge. We had them come 3 times. They are a lifesaver.

Joyce

Take a look at a pivot lift also for a low cost alternative. You can usually borrow them from an ALS center. My wife was deathly afraid of the Hoyer and as Joel said the commercial track lifts are very expensive (and I agree, you don't get what you pay for). The pivot lift, while looking uncomfortable and a little complicated is actually very easy to use and very safe. If the patient is properly strapped in they don't even need to be able to bear weight on their legs (Liz couldn't at all). The only reason we tried it was because the salesman we bought the wheelchair from had spent several years as a home health aid and made the recommendation (he wasn't trying to sell us one).

Dick

brilliant help from everybody. Now to find a builder who doesnt charge the earth!THANK YOU for this excellent thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back