Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
SC
City
Williston
My father in law has a trache & wanted to know if he could eat chocolate? All that he has put in his mouth since the surgery is the "lemon pops" basically a Qtip with lemon juice on it & frozen pieces of oranges

I hope Joel will come answer this one ! My understanding if you could eat before the trach you should be able to eat with the trach ! I have several Pals with trach/vent and they eat everything !

Thats wonderful news! He was under the impression he couldnt eat anything just through he feeding tube.

I just wanted to add --even if he is on a vent attached through a trach? .... sorry I just want to make sure before I tell him.

I am on a ventilator 24/7 and I eat and drink anything I want. No, it does not stop you from eating normally.
If you could eat before without choking you can eat after.

In my case I was was using my PEG before my tracheostomy because of choking, after my trache I was once again able to eat without choking and have been since July 2008.

It is actually quite interesting as I don't have to take a break to breathe I can swallow non-stop. Like drinking something you don't have to come up for air. Fantastic!

So Joel, you are saying that you are the chug-a-lug champion? Shotgun a beer or two in your day? I am jealous!

Don't be jealous to much longer, I am once again having trouble with swallowing. LOL. That was the only thing I could still do and now it is getting dicey. I am jealous of you still being able to walk around.

I learned at a young age how to open my throat and pour a coke down without swallowing. Then it graduated to beer. It only took a few seconds to down one.

Now it takes significantly longer but I can keep swallowing without coming up for air! Very different. LOL.

Thank you all so much for the info! I just told my father in law & now my mother in law is on a mission to the grocery store to get him some candy! He is so excited :-o
thanks again! God Bless you all!

Joel hi i was hoping you'd com in on this ! i know Dave he eats everything ! I've seen him. For those that don't know Dave he has been on vent sense 1993 . ope I have correct date. and yes it's trach/vent. Is there any other way. It is my understanding if you can eat before trach/vent then you can eat after. I hope that works correct as I am planning on having trach/vent in April and I want to keep eating ! I have no peg .

just wanted to give yall an update-- my father in law still hasnt tried to eat anything. I think he is a little scared to try it. My mother in law did get the candy he asked for, so when hes ready to try, it will be waiting for him.

Hi Everyone. Just wanted to make a few comments about eating and trachs. I am an licensed Speech Pathologist that works with trach/vent patients everyday at the hospital I work in. I would highly encourage anyone who has had a trach put in, to have a swallowing test done first before trying to eat. Trachs (whether they are cuffed, balloon inside that is inflated, or not) can hinder the larynx (voice box) from moving up and forward, which is needed to protect the airway when you swallow. Yes, many people can eat just fine with a trach and yes if you could eat fine before a trach, chances are you are more likely to be able to eat with it......but not always.
Having a trach also does not allow for airflow to get up to your vocal cords and upper airway, which is important for "feeling" if something has gone down the wrong pipe. This airflow provides more sensation to alert the body to cough. Trach patients I see for swallowing studies are commonly "silent aspirators" which means food/liquids gets into their airway and they do not respond with a cough or throat clear.
Again, trachs can alter the normal mechanics for swallowing, but do not always. I say rather be safe than sorry.

Hope this sheds a little light. There is so much info I did not get into, but would be happy to answer any more questions.

Mom was able to eat pureed foods before her trach but now she can not. I don't think it was because of the trace but.....she still tastes her food. She puts some on her finger and puts it in her mouth and when she is done we suction her very well. Speech Pathologists were not happy that I was allowing her to do this. I am surprised they did not try to have me arrested. My feeling is that if she understands the risks and is happy to be doing that, I canot deny her.

My Dad can still enjoy chocolate candy and even black jelly beans! (just the outside of the beans)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back