Diagnosis
10/2008
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Alexandria
Wanda and I have decided to put a spare bed in the office for those nights when we just irritate the crap out of each other. I one of us has a bad night , we both lose sleep.

As I will be the person to occupy this bed , I want to put the right bed in there. Currently, we have super comfortable pillow top king size bed.

I need feedback from my extended family.

Should I get a hospital bed ?
Is there an equivalent bed that is nicer to sleep on ?

Should I look at a Craftmatic ? Temper pedic ?

Tell me , I do not know which way that will make sense.

Happy New Year Glen,

I know there are some excellent beds out there that aren't "hospital beds" but provide much of the same function (being able to help sit up, adjust angles etc.) My husband and I are actually thinking of getting a craftmatic bed now, even though we don't NEED it yet.. I LOVED the idea of the temper pedic, but I don't think they work on the craftmatic beds, which is more practical when it comes to the everyday of getting in & out of bed, needing to sleep propped up etc... haven't gone out and actually tested them out yet-that's on our list for this next month.

Good luck!
Melody

I encourage you to consider an UltraMatic bed. They are marvelous.

UltraMatic bed

Glen,

I'm really pressed for time, so later I can give you more specs on what we got me. Right now, suffice it to say I got a queen sized tempur pedic adjustable bed. One of the best purchase decisions of my life! We did not get the type that each side is adjustable, because I didn't want that ridge in the middle, but they do offer that option.

gotta scoot!

Glen, I would get a twin and make certain that it has adjustments for position changes. A pillow top may be difficult for you to do your own position changes and sometimes that foam can be really hot :[ I know that when I had sprained both of my ankles this summer and was in our pillow top bed that it took great effort to scooch around to change my position and I am not big. We had incredible hospital beds in Critical care that were basically air mattresses and never had any issues with skin breakdown. I think that either the tempurpedic or craftmatic would be lovely.

You also have to get a ROHO mattress. They make a huge difference for comfort. I can stay in one position all night without a problem.

I'm siding with Joel on this one. Ultramatic. Have one and it is great! Joel do you have the vibration in yours?

Yes, it has a 3 speed massage feature. My wife uses it but I can't stand being massaged. LOL.

My husband has the Tempurpedic adjustable bed in xtra long twin size. This was a gift from another forum member and we are so very grateful. (Thx Beebee) My husband finds it very comfortable. He has a mattress topper on it to keep the heat factor down. He uses a very light weight down comforter so he doesn't have to struggle to move the covers. No sheet. Check out the length of whichever one you think you might like before you buy it! You don't want your heels hangin' or your head bangin'!

you just raise the feet when you raise the head so you don't slide off. Joel - top and bottom massage? My hubby just loves it! Full blast, top and bottom.

Glen,
Your post just want's me to say I want a New Drug.. Like Huey Lewis.... We do need one of those also, a magic curing pill...

I was eating these chicken nugget things my wife cooked up this evening and came to the conclusion that they were small enough to qualify for "pill" status.

Tonight, I had 6 chicken pills with a salad.

I ate 4 oreo cookies for dessert. 6 chicken pills didn't quite do it for me.

Those sound like Pills to me Kim.. Now only if we can cure this stuff with Oreo's we might really be on to something.. Let's keep trying...

Glen,

I wasn't able to give a full answer before... Tempurpedic calls their adjustable beds "Ergo System" beds.

I spent A LOT of time in the store laying on the different beds. The sales guy was very assertive that I should not give one mattress 5 minutes (for example) and the next one only 2 or 3. He said I should be on every one I was considering for a minimum of 10 minutes, which seems like an eternity in a store, but really not long at all for its intended use. So, I did it, 10-12 minutes on each one. Laying for 3-5 minutes on each side, and my back. Because of the difficulty I have turning, the softer more advanced technology mattress didn't do as well as a firmer one. What I found to be my favorite, I ultimately couldn't justify the added cost for. I think the "Classic" bed is the one I ended up choosing, the "Advantage" was too firm, and the "Allura" bed was the one I'd have chosen if money was no object.

I'm still not certain if I should have gone with the divided sides, so that both persons could have their own adjustments for raising the head or foot of bed. I'm a real snuggler, and, in the past have disliked that ridge in the middle of king sized beds which are in fact two twins being used as a king for that reason. In retrospect, the only change I would make would be to have perhaps considered this option more seriously.

I think they allow a home trial for 30 days. It may be longer.

Someone else mentioned the vibrate function, there is a vibrate, it isn't a feature that was important to me, but some people do like that.

A word about those "sleep number" beds... (this is just a IMHO comment) when the Radisson hotel chain started putting those beds in their guest rooms, I did not care for them. Maybe because, as a crew member, coming in exhausted from flying, I was not interested in devoting time needed to tweak the mattress to my own personal level of firmness, but I did try sometimes, albeit halfheartedly, and I never found any benefit or extra comfort in this type bed at all. I don't know if they even offer the ergo (adjustable) bed.

If he is putting it in a separate room he is not looking at both sleeping on it just him.
We are not there totally yet he is sleeping in the recliner instead of the bed. If you are having to buy this I would think something in the long run in the range of a hospital bed and think of best mattress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back