Diagnosis
05/2008
Country
US
State
PA
City
wallingford
my mom has trouble speaking and her doctor suggested a voice amplifier. can anyone suggest one that works that is at a reasonable cost?

My husband had a ChatterVox type which from that link is what they called the waistband type. It worked well for what it does. It saves the energy it takes to speak loud enough to be heard. It will not make the voice clearer to hear only louder. He quit using it because to wear it his beachball belly as he calls it made it ride turned down to the floor instead of up. Someone else in our group has the one that is square that might hook on a pocket. I would think about how you would be wearing it in choosing one. I have heard of some using it in bed so that the baby monitor could pick up the voice better so the issue would be the mike and there are different types.

My wife got me a Chattervox for Christmas and I like it quite a bit. I had tried one a few weeks ago when we met someone who used one. It came with an over the ear microphone that is positioned at the corner of my mouth. We have had company this week so I've been using it and it helps. One problem is I can't use it while eating due to the microphone position, which is when we have a lot of conversation. Also I have to eat more slowly now and can't risk talking until my mouth is completely empty, which makes me tend to come in late to the conversation with my comments. But that doesn't have anything to do with the amplifier. The other problem is I am self conscious about wearing it out in public, haven't done that yet.

I wore it to my sister's house for Christmas dinner and their dog went bananas, he was terrified by my amplified voice and growled and barked at me. I had to take it off and take some time to try to reassure him. Our own dogs have had an interesting reaction. At first they completely ignored my amplified voice. I could call their names, offer them treats, and it was just noise to them. Finally I got the treat bag down, that got their attention, and by giving them the simple commands they know like "sit" and offering treats, our older and smarter dog caught on right away. He figured out that it was my voice and was soon responding as usual. Our young and dumb little girl never caught on, she just stood their hoping for a treat. She is a show dog and makes me wonder about the future of their breed. The show judges only go by looks and movement, no IQ tests.

Hal, very interesting about the dogs and them not recognizing your amplified voice. I have not had any luck at all getting my dog Lucy to recognize my totally electronic voice from any of my devices. I guess this is understandable especially when none of my three voices sound much like what I used to sound like. So what you are saying partly answers a question that I hadn't asked here yet; is there anyone who uses their own voice through Model Talker able to get their dogs to recognize them? Why dont they respond? Is there something that they can hear (or is there something missing) that we don't or is it the quality of the voice?

Lucy responds to me when she can see me and I use what is left of my own voice but I can't call her. It's a good thing that she is getting older (9 year old golden retreiver) so she doesn't go very far anymore.

When I first met with my SLP Kerry in the fall of 2007 we talked about a speech amplifier but she said that it was the clarity of my speech that was the problem not the volume so there was no point in amplifying my slurred speech. Just shows how differently this disease affects us. :sad:

Hi Al, did you look up Califone chatter box or voice saver. its under $100.00 I would be lost without mine. It comes with re-chargeable batteries and cord. The mic raps on the top of your head and is very light weight, will not bother you at all or cause rashes , the only trouble I have had with it is that the mic takes some messing with to get it right but, once it is set you will be all good. Professors use it at school to save their voices so you can maybe find it under teaching supplies. Good luck. If you need more assistance please feel free to email me at [email protected]. That goes for everyone on the site if you need to talk and just get it out I'm here for my brothers and sisters. GOD Bless everyone this new year may the doctors find a cure for everyone and their loved ones so they don't have to see what they do on us. with all my love to everyone. Doug.

Trouble Swallowing

Hello everyone, we all have trouble swallowing I found that an exercise I have been doing is helping me alot. I place my hand under my chin resting on my chest. With some restraint using your thumb lift your head up and down, your neck will get very sore for a few days but it helps. Another one I have been doing with my tounge is I take my finger in front of my mouth stick my tounge out and move my finger back and forward up and down using my finger for restiance. Since I have been doing this my words aren't so slurred. I found I can eat more things then I could before. Now my spit I can swallow it also that was a huge problem for me. Pills are still very very hard to get down but, every little bit helps. If anyone has any question please feel free to contact me. I'm here for everyone anything I can try to help with I will. GOD Bless.:p

thanks so much for all your responses. I was about to order the one grampa al suggested, but wanted some feedback before I did it. I just joined the ALS forum and wished joined a year ago. thanks

We just ordered the ADDvox 7 Watt Personal Voice Amplifier for me, along with an upgrade microphone, the flesh tone colored FeatherLite™ Pro Headset.

I was put off by reading some of the customer reviews Re: the Chattervox , saying how unwanted feedback from the amplifier was a problem. Maybe they all do that, (brands/versions) don't know, can't find out.

We considered the Califone chatter box, but, finally settled on the addvox.

I'll report back after using it for a while.

Rose, you should really be able to yell at Ernie with that! I would be interested in knowing if he responds or if he takes no notice like my dog does when "Ryan" talks. Of course that assumes that Ernie pays attention anyway.

....Of course that assumes that Ernie pays attention anyway.

You know, he does listen, but he doesn't obey. I'll say "look at me!" when I need his attention, and he'll look me right in the eye, then keep on doing whatever it is he intends anyway.

This device, if it works like its supposed to, should be a huge help with my daily living.

I've been using the amplifier and like it a lot. As for problems, so far no big ones, just getting used to it.

The feedback noise only occurs if the volume is turned too high for the surroundings, or, if I bend forward and the microphone comes too close to the speaker. One thing, though, is turning up the speaker to be heard over ambient noise in an enclosed space (my little car) can result in the feedback squeal, I'm still figuring out the best way to overcome this. Yesterday, I unclipped the belt strap holding speaker to my waist, and just laid the speaker between me and the other person in the car, so it was facing up toward the soft cloth ceiling, rather the hard sound-reflective surface of the dash board.

The dog pays good attention to it, probably because its still my own voice. He was really interested at first, maybe because he could hear my voice coming from my mouth as well as the speaker? I don't know. He was really cute, would cock his head one way then the other looking back and forth from my face to the speaker.

The microphone is super light. only 2 ounces. Its not noticeable at all. Even if it were, what with so many people wearing the bluetooth earpieces for their cell phones, I don't think it would draw much attention. (and who cares anyway?) Here's a couple of photos of headset :)

Attachments

• voice amp.jpg
    voice amp.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,028
  • headset.jpg
    headset.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 799
My gosh. Foxxy looking redhead with cleavage. Do I allow shameless advertizing like this? What was it she was promoting? Any of you guys remember?

AL.

"What was it she was promoting?"

She was promoting something? Sorry I was distracted there for an hour :p:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back