Diagnosis
01/2009
Country
uk
State
worcester
City
worcester
hi im having great difficulty swallowing my tablets and my food, i keep choking and its getting me down, has anyone got any advice to help me with this please?

Ask your doctor about getting a PEG feeding tube installed before you lose too much weight.

Until then , pills go down a lot easier with yogurt or apple sauce.

If that is still an issue, then check with your pharmacist to see if you can crush your pills. Some pills are not made for crushing as they may be time-release.

Hope this helps.

Happy Holidays
Glen

Most medicine come in a liquid form as well. Over the counter medicines can usually be found in the childrens section of the drug store. For prescription medicines you need to get your dr. to write a prescription for the liquid form.

My speech therapist says use jelly to swallow pills. Try to eat foods that are thick like mashed potatoes, chili, sweet potatoe, jello salads, stay away from things that are hard to chew. I eat alot of enchiladas, beans and rice. They are easy to eat if I mix them together. Please get a peg if you don't have one already. Have a Merry Christmas.

Tucking your chin down to your chest is supposed to help in swallowing.

AL.

You are ready for a peg! I was having the same problems. I didn't realize how much weight I was loosing, and how dehydrated I was getting! Leaning forward does help, and I put soups in the blender, so I could eat. The peg will make your life so much easier! Please do it! The worst part of it is spending the night in the hospital...Thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back