Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
NV
City
Reno
We are going to be buying a van and the VA will convert it for us. What suggestions or advise can anyone offer me? We have 11,000 to spend on the van, heard Toyota Sienna or Chrysler Town and Country were good. Yhanks Lori

My suggestion is to do the lift in the back of the van. I am very grateful for our van but most of the time when we park in a handicapped space I have to back the van up when we leave because someone has parked right next to us so that I cannot get the lift down. Also, Mom likes to face forward and it is difficult for her to turn that way esp with her vent on the back of her chair.

Does that mean they will install a ramp. It will be so much easier if you can drive the wheelchair right into the van. We like the side entry so that my hubby can sit right in the passenger spot in his wheelchair. There are alot of threads on vans...check them out. We have a pontiac montana el dorado ramp system. We went with this van because it had more head room...Andrew is tall. Do you have a mobility dealer in your area? Good luck..this is a huge purchase!

I think different vans are good for different conversions.

Side entry vs rear entry .

Ramp vs Lift.

Transfer vs stay in chair.

Rear entry is easier for parking , but very hard to transfer if the PALS can still drive

I have a side entry in-floor lift 2002 Chevy Astro AWD. I have found that if I park diagonal in two parking spaces works the best. Handicap spaces are not wide enough usually. My chair is fast enough that I can park in the back of the lot where there is lots of room. I have only had one meter-maid approach me when I came back to my van about my obscure parking procedures. Once I explained why I do it , she was very understanding.

I cant say one way or the other. Do what feels good to you.

Glen

Attachments

• 2002Astro-1.jpg
    2002Astro-1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 18,083
Here is what we have and why.

Van

Nice looking van Glen!

Thanks Joel
it was one of the reasons we got it.
It filled all of my criteria at the time.

Had to be driveable - has moveable drivers seat that spins for easy transfers
Had to be big enough to handle my size entering the van
Had to be useable for me when I am alone
and equally important it had to be something a car guy would drive

Glen

Excellent choice.

Since I can't do any of those things a rear entry is a great choice because of parking issues. We can park anywhere and get out of the van easily.

Also, the rear of our van has separate controls for heat and air conditioning. I am always cold so the heat in the back can be cranked up without bothering those up front.

There are many considerations for side or rear entry. There is no ”right" choice, your individual situation will dictate.

Thanks for the input. A gentleman we met at the VA hospital is the guy who will be doing the conversion. We stopped at the prothestics dept to get my husband a portrable wheelchair, and when I said ALS his assistant and him actually got excited because they know how to do all this and handle the paperwork and they were excited because they want to help us and get us the very best. We thought the 11.000 was for a van already converted, but we can spend that on just the van, and then they will do whatever is necessary to get it equipped. They will send my husband to Palo Alto to get a evaluation for his driving and will convert it so he can drive. He also told us that in 2 years, we could sell this van, buy another one,and they would do a conversion all over again on the new van. I feel kind of guilty that we are able to get all these things through the VA when so many other people have to struggle, but I am so very grateful. I was able to navigate the VA system in record time, if anyone needs help, PM me. My husband was Army National Guard, and I know a lot of PALS have been denied, but we did get it, and I am willing to share my experiences. Lori

We are at the beginning of that also from what I have been told is get the chair first or at least know what one. But if you have one you can go to a dealer that has vans already done and try them out. Headroom, turn space, etc. As for VA doing both it is best to go to a dealer use to dealing with VA. They know what can be done or a recent converted one can apply both grants to price. Will only convert only say a 2006 or above. With applying $29,000 they want one worth doing.

Lori,

You have an excellent deal as I guess you know. I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I drive a lowered floor, side entry, Braun Town and Country van. I am very satisfied with it. I bought it used over 4 years ago and have put nearly 100,000 miles on it. I plan to replace it next year with a Toyota Sienna. For me, the side entry works much better than a rear. For one thing, the wheelchair occupant can't drive from his chair with a rear entry as I understand it. In my use, it is easier to find parking with side access than rear. This is even more true in the US where there are many proper width disabled parking spots. Ones in Canada are legislated to be adequate but in practice are often too narrow. I too sometimes resort to Glen's two-space parking approach.

Georgia is correct in saying it is poor economy to renovate an older vehicle. The renovation itself costs as much as a new van, so why put it on a used van that will have a shorter working life but the same cost of renovation as a new one. Her suggestion to test drive a few at a dealer is also a good idea. The side entry has two models. An in-floor ramp and a folding ramp that travels in the vertical position and blocks access to the sliding door when the door is closed and ramp is up. The in-floor provides more convenient access if there are rear passengers but has the disadvantages of lower van clearance and the ramp will not always clear obstacles such as high curbs since it comes out horizontally rather than descending vertically. I have sometimes put my folding ramp onto a top step that is higher than the floor of the van and ridden into a building that way.

John

Also in talking with the dealers they suggested that you MAKE sure that the van you are looking at CAN be converted before you buy it.

The VA will cover us on a used van with a new conversion. We are hoping to get a 2008 town and country, with a side entry auto ramp that is set up for Les to be both a driver and passenger. The cost of the van itself is 12,995, so we will have to come up with a couple bucks to make that happen, but it looks like we can get it within the next 2 weeks or so. We have decided to go with one that is already converted, so we do not have to wait 3 - 4 months for it to be done. The company we are working with us does this with the VA all the time, so we feel comfortable dealing with them Hugs, Lori

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back