Diagnosis
06/2015
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
I've noticed a few spammers recently posting links on the forum. Is there a way to make it so people can't post links until they've been active on the forum for a bit? I've been sent to mod for posting totally legit links, so I'm not sure how these new members are able to do so as their very first post.

It's been way more than a few

Tightening the post rules just pisses people off

There is a work around to the posting links restriction that the spammers are using. no one is supposed to be able to post links without going to mod. There is no way to stop people from using that loophole. Please if you know the loophole do not post what it is.

For the spam that you have reported Fiona we have deleted at least 10 times as many. We try to catch them quickly

Last edited:
They were smart to figure it out, and I don't think a bot could do it. I know it, and won't say as you asked Nikki, but it must take a person to get around that one.

You mods work so hard here for us THANK YOU.

There is no way to prevent link posting; however, all links posted should go to moderation. The problem is that some people are immediately editing their posts after submitting; thus skipping the moderation pool because their original post didn't contain a link.

The only solution I can think of is to disable "post editing" for new members. But this will likely lead to some push back from members.

Thoughts?

Nikki appears to be catching the bulk of these, so I will defer to her.

I have expressed my opinion to David privately. This is for members to comment if they feel inability to edit is unfair for the new members. The privilege would come with number of posts ( as happens with pm) so nothing would change for most of us.

The only thing that comes to my mind is that mods will have to do a bit more editing of DIHALSers long posts with no paragraphs.

It may not make much difference as we only have short window to edit anyway.

If it will make any difference in helping to stop these spammers I'm happy for you to do whatever you need.

I see no reason why it is important for a new member to edit their post. They can easily submit another post with a note correcting a typo.

I think the solution is to deny post editing for new members.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back