Diagnosis
10/2000
Country
CA
State
NL
City
Newfoundland
Building on Zaphoon's Schnoodle thread, there seem to be a lot of PALS and CALS here who find pets an important part of their lives. I suggest we begin a thread on the subject of "Pets as therapists" and describe our pets and how they enrich our lives with ALS. Maybe a photo gallery of our "therapists" would help here. I'll kick it off with a description of my dog, why I got him and post some photos of him. I invite others to do the same.

When my last dog died of cancer 6 years ago, I felt I had lost my best friend. Facing my life with ALS and no dog I had either to consider anti-depressants or get another one although I thought Angus would be impossible to replace, and of course he was; all animals are unique. After nearly two years without him though and realizing I could still manage a dog, I began my search. Angus was a mutt but likely a terrier-poodle mix of some sort so I began looking for Schnoodles. My daughter came across a new breed, or at least a breed under development, called the Ganaraskan, named after a river in Ontario, not far from where Glen lives, where the breed was developed over the past 25+ years. The aim was to build a therapy dog that was intelligent, very friendly, enthusiastic but calm and hypoallergenic. The foundation breeds were the Miniature Schnauzer, Poodle, Bichon Frise and Cocker Spaniel. For the past 10-15 years the dogs have been breeding true although there is a great range of colours.

I acquired mine 4 1/2 years ago when he was 3 months old and named him Chewbacca because when walking on his hind legs, which he does a lot, he reminded me of the Wookie in miniature. He also looks a lot like Chico. He has become my constant companion and has visited Labrador, Arizona, California, New England and Mexico and many places in between. He is a perfect traveller. His size, 15 lbs, makes him large enough to be fully dog-like but small enough to be really interactive. He rarely barks and doesn't shed so he is welcome in many motels. He comes to my office in the afternoons and has a more friends come by to visit him than I do. Because he is a therapy dog, my employer has waived the no animal policy.

Most days I take him for a two mile run using my large scooter. He loves it and so do I. It gets me out almost every day unless the snow has not been adequately plowed or it's raining cats and Schnoodles. I watch the seasons change and since I live in a rural area, there are lots of birds, plants and animals to see and I've got to know more of my neighbours by far than I would have without him. On weekends, with more time, I take him down to a place called Middle Cove which is about 3 miles round-trip from my home to meet other dogs and people and where we often see whales, icebergs and sea birds according to the season.

Here are a few snaps to introduce him.

Attachments

• IMG_1735_Chewie_portrait.jpg
    IMG_1735_Chewie_portrait.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_0235_Chewie_the_skier_wannabe.jpg
    IMG_0235_Chewie_the_skier_wannabe.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_0357_John&Chewie_kayaking.jpg
    IMG_0357_John&Chewie_kayaking.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_1717_45-mph-Chewie.jpg
    IMG_1717_45-mph-Chewie.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_2412_Chewie_in_the_snow.jpg
    IMG_2412_Chewie_in_the_snow.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 619
  • IMG_2400_Chewie_ready_to_come_in.jpg
    IMG_2400_Chewie_ready_to_come_in.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 4,699
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow John, now that is a Wookie! I take back what I said about Ernie, Chewbacca is Chewbacca. Thanks for sharing your story and pictures.

Barry I'm reminded now of a funny thing that happened to me a couple of years ago. My daughter and I went to university's "gardens" here which in addition to the formal plantings have about a 100 acres of natural woodland with small lakes, streams and trails. Dogs are not permitted so we left Chewie in the van. We were out for about an hour or so when I realized I had come with a low battery on my large scooter. My daughter pushed on the level and downhill sections to ease the drain and we made it back nearly to the park headquarters before the battery died. She walked out and talked to an employee who opened the gate and allowed her to drive my wheelchair rampvan down the trail to my scooter. He walked on ahead. When she reached me and deployed the automatic sliding door and then the self unfurling ramp, the young fellow, who had clearly never seen one before, exclaimed "Wow, looks like the Millenium Falcon". I said "It is and Chewbacca's on board" as Chewie trotted down the ramp to greet me.

John

John, I've mentioned this before but I love Chewie. His personality just jumps out of those photos. You can see how dedicated he is to you as well. He just seems like such an earnest little guy. He melts my heart. I am so happy you found him!

I am a strong advocate of pets as therapists, not just for PALS but for CALS as well. My dad is definitely not a pet person although he did have a horse that he loved when he was a little boy in Southern Italy. He does however enjoy Chico's company when we visit because Chico always makes him laugh.

I know when I am sad, Chico comes to my side and comforts me. That's the kind of dog he is. Also a person can only get so depressed when they live with a little creature who is so damn cheerful and enthusiastic about life. When I am feeling down it's hard to motivate myself to get outside and take a walk but as a dog owner you have to do just that and it always helps.

Thanks for the story and pics. What a great dog. We have two dogs and many times three or four and my mom loves having them around even though it can get a little nuts at times. Also have a new puppy of my sisters to add to the mix. I'll post some pics of our crew soon.

Capt AL gone to the dogs.

Great thread. Loved your pictures.
I have three dogs, well 2 are mine and one is one of my grandsons who is living with me while he goes to college.
The one in my lap is called Smokey, and the little Chiapom is Sparky. They both bring a lot of comfort and entertainment into my life. The last one is called Bizzy, she is my grandson's dog.
I was having a particular painful day and took a pain pill and fell asleep in my chair years ago. When I awoke Smokey was lying in my lap just staring at my face. She had gotten all her stuffed animals and laid them on my lap to comfort me. It did. She is so sweet.
ALsmokey.jpg
Smokey.jpg
sparky.jpg
Bizzy.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to say this but I am a cat person, don't get me wrong I would love to have a dog but we are not home enough to care for a dog. Cat's are much easier to leave alone. As you can tell from her picture Lexi pretty much has the run of the house. She is about 12 years old but still plays like a kitten and loves to watch the birds.

Dana

Thelma,

Thanks for the kind words about Chewie. As I am typing this, he is standing on his hind legs tapping me with his paw. You are so right about them being able
to bring you out of yourself when feeling down. Dogs really live in the moment and Chewie is always reminding me to do the same.

When are you going to post some more pictures of that cute little Chico?

Al, Smokey does look sweet and is a great size too. I don't see the pix of Chiapom and Bizzy though.

Dana, it's okay Chico is also a cat "person." He loves his best friend Charlotte the cat. See enclosed photo... Charlotte is obsessed with cardboard boxes and you can see that although this box is totally tattered and worn, she loves lying in it.

And John since you asked here are some photos of the little guy. My favourite is the one where he is sitting on the couch like a little person, lounging on the pillow. John, you are so right about dogs reminding us humans to live in the moment.

Al, your dogs are irresitible! I love that story you told of Smokey collecting all her toys and laying them on your lap. I think the greatest thing about pets is their love is so unconditional.

Attachments

• Chico & Charlotte.jpg
    Chico & Charlotte.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 364
  • Cheeks.jpg
    Cheeks.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 454
  • Chico sitting up.jpg
    Chico sitting up.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 462
This thread inspired me to sneak my dog into my parents' apartment last night. :) (It's a retirement community with a "no pets" policy, however, my parents have a patio door which is well suited for sneaking in a 5-pound Shih Tzu!) Sadly, my parents had a Shih Tzu which passed away before Dad's diagnosis this year.

Anyway, the visit was a successful venture, so I'm sure we'll be doing it again. Dad was eager to have my little guy on his lap. He's had a few bad days lately, so it was good to see him smile.

Incidentally, my dog is terminal with liver failure, so he can use the "human therapy." He's very mild-mannered and is happy to sit and be loved.

Lisa

Thanks for more photos Thelma. Chico is awfully cute. He has the same white goatee that Chewie has. Is that a schnauzer-poodle thing I wonder.

Lisa I'm sorry to hear about your Shih Tzu's illness. I was miserable while my former dog was sick.

You're bad but I'm glad you took your dog to your parents' no-pets home. I'll bet your dad loved it. I'm bad too. I travel a fair bit with Chewie and some motels are not pet-friendly. Since he is
hypoallergenic, doesn't shed or bark and is house-broken, I see no harm taking him anyway. I carry a "doggy bag" for such occasions. It is carry-all bag with a single compartment, a zip top and
two handles. It's about 2' long and 10" high. I open the bag in the van, tell Chewie to hop in which he is happy to do, zip the top closed, put the bag on the floor of my scooter and check in.
I can hardly keep from laughing during this process with Chewie sitting quietly in the bag while I talk to the check-in clerk.

John, flattery gets you everywhere when it comes to Chico. I think the white goatee is from the Schnauzer side. I wish he and Chewie could meet. I know they'd get along. I can't believe you can get Chewie into a dog bag though! I tried to put Chico in one and he can't fit unless he lies down but he wanted nothing to do with it. He locked his knees in protest. He can be pretty strong-willed.

I still remember that photo you first posted of you on your scooter with Chewie along for the ride. It's such an adorable image... really shows "man's best friend" in action.

Hope all is well in the Maritimes! Regards from "La Belle Province."

Is anyone having problems seeing Capt. Al's pictures? I was told only a long link shows up but they are ok on my computer.
Thanks

AL.

Al, I can em just fine. Go to bed, gotta be late there...
-tom

Dog is man's best friend or companion?

I have 4 picture in a row I can put in a slide show code if they do not all show up/
Thanks all,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back