Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
I'm learning to let various people know that my husband has ALS. I don't want pity, so it's been kinda awkward in knowing when and how to tell people.

Took my son to the pediatrician several months ago as he had what I thought was bronchitis. After 2nd trip about the chest congestion, she asked me what concerned me most about his coughing, etc... That is when I told her my husband has ALS and I was concerned if my son had and infection that my husband would be susceptible and might end up with pneumonia. Turns out her best friend's mom as ALS. She apologized for not asking about some changes she had noticed in my demeanor and also insurance situation. As we left she gave me a hug and told me if I needed anything at all to please let her know. She said "I mean it." I sent her a card thanking her for reaching out.

Today her office called to see if it was OK to send my son a Dave & Busters gift card for him and his daddy to celebrate son's birthday! They just wanted to make sure it wouldn't cause a hardship and that he was still able to get out. What an angel! I thanked her while choking back tears.

It's the little things that people do that make it all worthwhile.

I think people really want to help but don't know how sometimes. We are looking into setting up a trust for my husbands expenses with this disease. I think people will "step up to the plate..." :-D

CJ,

That was really sweet of your son's peditrician. Happy Birthday to your son and I hope he enjoys his time at Dave and Busters.

CJ--
Happy Birthday to your son, too. Thanks for the day brightener.
I have trouble telling people and asking for help too. One day about 2 years ago our school secretary called me aside and asked if the school could organize a fund-raiser for our family. It was hard to say yes, but it was the most wonderful experience. So many of my students, co-workers and friends helped and contributed. The night of the event people came from miles away to attend. People who hadn't seen my husband since he had quit work came to talk with him. They raised over $15,000 for us, which blew everyone away. It kept us going financially for several months (we were able to put in a roll-in shower and pay the caregiver for about 6 months).
I think you are right--people don't often know how to help and it is hard to tell them what we need.
Sharon

I can personally relate to the generousity shown by so many different people in the area where I live. When your faced with health problems, you realize although you hear so much bad going on in this world, there is also a lot of good, caring and concerned people out there that are willing to give in time of need. I was always fortunate enough to be able to be on the giving end before and now being on the recieving end gave me an uncomfortable feeling. The thing that helped me to be able to say yes to people wanting to help me was to know that they were going to recieve a blessing from God for giving of themselves and if I would have denyed their help, then I would have been robbing them of a blessing.

Hi Cj

Oh My Goodness That Was So Sweet Of Your Son's Doc. You Got A Good One There. Of Course She Knows Your Heart And Responds To Your Hurt.

I Wish I Could Be More Forthright About George's Illness With Those Outside The Family, Friend, Als Clinic Circle. Honestly, This Forum Has Been My Sounding Board, My Time When I Need To Relate To Someone Else Going Through This Stinking, No Good Disease! If I Let My "hair Down" So To Speak, Outside My Comfort Zone, I Feel As If I Would Fall To Pieces. George Needs My Strength And I Need To Keep It Together.

With That All Said (did I Vent Or What!) I Hope You Guys Are Having A Great Summer And Hope Your Son Had A Great Birthday With You And Dad!

Your Posts Always Make Me Smile Or Laugh! HEAVEN KNOWS WE ALL NEED TO LAUGH

Your Friend,
Patty :)

Random Kindness

I wanted to share my little story of people being kind.

I'm a teacher and my students know that if I don't walk into class holding my latte from Fischerville Coffee that they're in for a rough day.

At the start of this year, a coffee card was left in my mailbox at school. At first I thought someone found one and assumed it was mine. After asking around, no one knew anything. So when I went to use the card, it had $50 on it. No one at work would fess up to giving it to me. Then, a few weeks later as the card was running out, another one appeared in my mailbox. This continued for the entire school year! I begged Chris (my coffee guy) to PLEASE tell me who was buying them so I could thank the person, but he just said that he was swore to secrecy and the person wanted me to be able to treat myself while caring for my mom.

I have been unable to find out who was so generous, but I shared the story with my students so that they could see the generosity of their community.

I like these stories! It is good to know people ae still looking out for one another!

That's such a great story, CJ! It's definitely the little things that make it all worthwhile. Good idea about the trust. Happy Birthday to your son and I hope he and his dad have a great time at Dave and Busters.

It seems as if alot of us are alike in not letting people know about our PALS. My PALS and I have pretty much kept his illness to ourselves except for family, his former co-workers, and a few neighbors. People really do want to help but, as has been said so many times, don't know where to fit in.

I agree with Jake, that the people who are given the chance to give receive every bit as much as the people who receive. And like Jake, we've always been on the giving end and it's really hard being on the receiving end.

We've recently begun forming a care team which includes the people already mentioned and have received an overwhelming response of cheerful availability for various tasks. People have a need to give and help, but most need to be welcomed and given an idea of what is needed.

All the best to PALS and CALS,
Jane

I love the idea of a care team, Jane. Best of luck forming yours. I think folks step up because you and your hubby have done things to touch their hearts. And I bet you are right- all we have to do is ask! :-D

Cindy,

You are right! It seems most of the PALS I learn of are very giving people. My husband was to meet up with a friend today, but hubby's truck was in dubious condition.

Friend came and fixed his truck and they had a wonderful afternoon together.

My husband told me after the friend left that guy would do anything for him. He has only known him for about 2 years and they have a special bond.

I admire my husband for his ability to make such special friends!

Kindness

It has always been incredibly hard to accept any help. Now, we are having to give in and just allow people to help. It was a year ago that my husband stopped working. His company organized a fundraiser and raised enough money for us to purchase a hi/lo lift for our pool. I will now be able to help with my husbands pool therapy. We were also blessed by the ALS guardian angels who purchased my husband a recument tryke. Both of these items are serious luxury items on a fixed income. They allow my husband freedom..and my kids really enjoy riding their bikes with him and swimming. My husband and I say that we are blessed in a very difficult situation. Other's kindness gives us strength! Nice to hear all the happy stories. Fondly, KR

That's a wonderful story, Kelly. It's amazing what good can come out of a difficult situation, and the giving helps the givers too!
All the best to your family,
Jane

Angels walking around on earth

My husband's SSDI won't be in effect until September. The waiting period has been difficult on us financially and I can relate to everyone saying how hard it is to ask for help. My minister knows a woman (she does not attend my church) who had earlier this year asked if there was a family in need at his church. She said she has been blessed with abundance this year and wanted to share with someone in need. He thought of my family and asked if we would be open to the help.

Well, today this incredible total stranger took me grocery shopping. She spent $170 on food for my family. If this isn't an angel walking around on earth, then I don't know who is.:-D

Also, I am unable to drive at night, so half a dozen people at my church have formed a "night ride" list of names to call when I need it.

Anytime I get discouraged I remember that there are good, no, make that amazing people in my life!:-D

That's great Linda! This is just so hard sometimes!

You don't want to sound needy, but really wish you could just tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. But I suspect unless someone walked in our shoes, they would not understand.

A young man that works at the corner convenience store showed up yesterday evening to talk to my husband. He has no father and my husband takes an interest in everyone he meets and has apparently made an impression on this guy. Turns out the guy wanted job advice, as he had to drop out of college due to funds and has been offered a job beyond the corner store. My husband helped him out and the guy wants to help us do needed repairs to our house. We will pay him, but just to have a young guy even want to do something like that is unbelievable! Most "kids" have better things to do. He has a good head on his shoulders and I don't even know his name. My husband calls him "lug nut!" LOL

( and by the way, this youngster doesn't act like he can understand my husband or ignore him when he can't get what he is saying!) I like this guy!

Oh Brooksea! I am always so grateful when I see your posts! I am going to copy the email that I sent to friends and distant relatives to share Wayne's diagnosed and the gifts that ALS has brought into our lives. I am a very open person so it has not been difficult for me to tell our story truthfully in all of it's up's and down's. In less than one month, we have gone from a very comfortable upper middle class life to receiving a small weekly short term disability check. Unfortunately we lost most of our life savings in a business that failed when the economy failed and our retirement and investments disappeared when Wall Street collapsed. So here we are-basically penniless but rich beyond comprehension. :] We have the GIFT of living and loving in the present moments! We just returned from a three week bucket list road trip [I charged it on my credit card] My Son and his wife and our 3 year old Grandson met us in Montana and had a Condo for us to stay in! My Daughter and her fiance rented a Houseboat for 4 days on Trinity Lake and bought all the food and planned everything! A neighbor sent us a $100.00 debit card to us on our trip! Two of my sisters pay $200.00/month towards Wayne's medicine! Minnesota ALS Organization can not help us financially but they have been LIFE SAVERS for phone and email support! Another sister paid to have our fur people boarded for three weeks so we could leave! Yesterday I got a card in the mail from a unknown local person with $50.00 in it! We have been the recipients of a blessing and a laying on of the hands from a local church that we do not belong to-We are on Prayer lists all over the World-We received blessed holy water and soil from a Catholic spot that is known for miraculous healings and we are not Catholic-Someone paid for our Son's first month of school lunches-every single day we are blessed. I do get soooooo frustrated having to fight tooth and nail with all the beauracracy ie SSDI, VA etc to get what Wayne has paid for... It is such a journey and we have so much to be grateful for! My husband struggles with being on the receiving end of the gifts and refuses to ask for help but I just gently remind him that it is his lesson to learn and that it is always a blessing to give AND to receive :] Here is a copy of my email

Dear Friends, Now that we have had the opportunity to share the changes in our lives with all of our immediate family, it is time to share with you. Wayne has been diagnosed with Bulbar Onset ALS on 13 July 2009. Some of you may know this as Lou Gehrig's Disease. Please read my note, include us in your prayers and pray for a miracle.

My sweet "Web" has been diagnosed with Bulbar Onset ALS. [A simple and generalized description] Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), or Lou Gehrig’s Disease, is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that causes its victims to become completely paralyzed, gradually stealing their ability to move any of their limbs. The disease affects motor neurons in the brain and spinal cord. When the motor neurons die, a patient’s muscles waste away. The patient is robbed of the ability to walk, speak, eat, and eventually breathe. Upon diagnosis patients are given only two to five years to live. There is no cure for ALS. There are currently 35,000 victims of ALS living in the USA. A victim of ALS dies every 90 minutes. Every 90 minutes someone is newly diagnosised with ALS. I respectfully request that you join hands and hearts with Web, Matthew and I as we live the present moments with joy on this journey of life!. If you believe in a higher power, we respectfully and with sincere appreciation request that you pray for a cure for the 35,000 ALS victims currently alive in the USA and the countless others in the World. Please do it this moment. I absolutely believe in Miracles, fairy dust, ruby red slippers [I actually own a pair and a crown in the shape of the Golden Gate Bridge Thanks to Brent!] and that the Universe unfolds as it should! ALS is not robbing us of our lives. ALS has given us our lives. The gift of ALS for us is that we have been given the opportunity to soulfully and completely understand that all any of us have is this very moment. What has happened in the Past or what may happen in the Future is so unimportant. That is our gift to you. LIVE EACH MOMENT WITH JOY! We have all been soul blessed. This moment in time is for healing for all of us.

I also respectfully request that each of you become the voice, arms and legs for the victims of ALS by becoming advocates for the victims of ALS. Join your local Chapter or Association for Muscular Dystrophy and ALS. Organize a Community project or join a ALS Walk to raise FUNDS for RESEARCH. Phone, write or email your Politicians, the Leaders in your Community and LOUDLY DEMAND because you have a voice that funds be made available for research and for a cure for this horrific disease. Join online ALS MDA forums. DEMAND reform and accountability for health care and for Social Security! Are you aware that the ONLY medication FDA approved and available since 1996 is Rilutek, it prolongs life by 3 months and it costs $1000/month! Do you know that even though Web is immediately approved for Social Security Disability that we still need to wait for 5 months to receive payments of HIS MONEY and that there are no back payments for the waiting time...Doesn't that make you feel outraged?! Here is a passage that says it like it is,
"Because people die from this disease, because there is no cure, because there is no long term life extending treatment, there are no survivors. Let me repeat that, no one survives ALS. The myth continues because there are no survivors to shout from the rooftops how horrible this disease is, and why we need to rally around, raise money, and find a stinking cure. We need to make aware that this disease can strike anyone, anywhere, at anytime in their life. We need to make aware that this disease is not just “something” named after baseball great Lou Gehrig. We need to make aware that this disease strikes real people; moms, dads, grandparents, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, baseball players, boxers, football players, soccer players, golfers and veterans. "

I found the National Institutes of Health spends billions of dollars for research -- the vast majority targeting preventable, treatable and non-life threatening diseases. The sample below provides perspective on how much money the NIH was willing to spend in 2008 to prevent each death from these diseases: HIV/AIDS, $198,263; substance abuse, $162,353; sexually transmitted diseases, $40,833; ALS, $7,167. I ask you to look carefully at these statistics and question why there is not significant funding for ALS. The truth is that at this point, the Drug Companies will not make MONEY off of ALS victims. Oh, it is so true that money is the root of all evil! Please assist me in the process of increasing public awareness for this disease.

If hearing this moves you to contact us, we would LOVE to hear from you. Not talking about it doesn't make it go away. Please do not feel uncomfortable. There are no words that make it better but hearing "I'm sorry and what can I do to help" is such a comfort. We need all the support, encouragement and help that anyone can offer! :]

Today the sun is shining in the brilliant blue sky in South Dakota! Today my husband went fishing and before he left, he kissed me and said "I love you". Today we are soul blessed and fortunate. Life is good.
With Love,
Kay Marie

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back