Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
FR
State
Ile de France
City
mortcerf
Going through hard period with my father’s progression speeding up. I arrive at his place late at night loaded with bags for a stay with him. Jeff, the bar tender stops me and says “ I don’t know you but I see you. How are you ?*» I say he is so so. He insists «* how are YOU*»
Then he says if ever things gets tough and I need a munch to take away or anything just pop by. I thank him in a way he understands I believe him and I will. Then he adds his mum is handicapped so he knows.
This man runs the bar just under my dad’s flat. Over the years he has helped him open the door, then dial the code, then walk past his bar.
The other day he saw us try the wheelchair.
If I ever feel like a takeaway munch I’ Sure ask him but he doesn’t know what good he did by just stopping me to say that.
There are some good people

Thank you for that story!
There are some great people and they seem to come out of the woodwork sometimes. Our neighbor cooked us an amazing dinner we ate on our couch with his family on the last night before we moved to an accessible appartment.
He also offered me his upstairs apartment/home office as a getaway whenever I wanted it.
People knowing that there's times when not everything is hunky-dory are a good resource.
Haven't yet felt the need to get away from everything and will rather use my free time to see friends and be outside. It's always good to know somebody's got your back though.

You should really get that munch. It's free food, you don't need to be in a bad spot to want that. ;)

Last edited:
May be we could start a thread “ there are some good people” so everybody can hope to meet one of them. They are everywhere out of the woodwork as you say. I was also thinking of a thread about non important but aggravating aggros so that everybody can know that yes it is ok to feel angry when stupid people do or say stupid things

As to stopping by Jeff’s bar even when the going isn’t that rough, I sure will, but rather to have a beer ��

Maybe you just now started this thread if you don't mind it being kidnapped. There's good neighbors and strangers abound and I hope some folks chip in with a story.
I'll take a pass on the aggros today or it will get my pulse up. I need to go to bed as tomorrow a friend comes to visit. Okay, one story about that friend. She lives far away (for Europeans)/just down the drive (for Americans) and asked me if I'd like some of the fancy jam she's made. I kindly told her no. Told her I like jam and free food so I have heaps of gifted jam. Sadly I hardly ever eat it. There's rarly bread in my house, especially since my PALS stopped eating and I hardly get out during business hours. So a couple days later a package arrives with some amazing walnut bread and some nice (and let's stay solid) rolls. Took a little longer to be delivered but well worth the laugh.

I am not sure bread travels we’ll otherwise o’d Send you some from the best boulangerie in the neighborhood! ;)

Don't tempt me to send you my address! I love fresh(!) French bread! With loads of good beurre demi-sel!

How beautiful - those little acts of kindness are the ones that really hit me the most as they always seem the most real :)

Keep em coming!

I don’t know why, but as I was reading this thread, I was imagining I was hearing an accordion in the background playing the sort of music one might hear outside a French sidewalk cafe. (It may be an inaccurate stereotype image Americans have :).)

it is a typical sidewalk café with music but it was not accordéon it was beautiful Spanish love songs like besa me mucho como si fuera la última vez

Hi
News from Jeff the bartender. I was discussing about him with an incredibly great young nurse and she said he was famous among caregivers in the neighborhood. He knows who lives where and when people need help he not only helps but also warns the appropeupeople that so and so is in trouble.
For instance Mrs O’C tended to lose her way around. He took her home and made sure someone knew where she was.
There are some good people

Community is so important. Sometimes we lose that- particularly in big cities. I am so glad there are still folk like Jeff the Bartender out there. It just takes one or two people to "mind" and remember who they see, along with their daily patterns. His care may mean that someone remains independent for longer, or he may possibly prevent long term/permanent ill effects from injury if he decides he hasn't seen someone for a long time and checks.

Thank you for sharing.

Jeff is one of those (now rare) everyday heroes. I'm loving him!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back