Diagnosis
12/2016
Country
US
State
Florida
City
West Melbourne
My Rhine Cruise adventure got off with a bang. FLight from Orlando to JFK in New York was delayed for three hours so we finally left about 2pm. I settled back, got a beer, then relaxed as I had a few hour layover at JFK before my flight to Zurich.

Fast forward to 2am sitting in Boston after the plane was diverted there due to weather at JFK. Of course we missed the flight to Zurich. Get rescheduled for same flight the next day (6pm). We are ok regarding the cruise because we learned many years ago to never try and fly in on the day of the cruise.

We finally get to JFK around 3:30am. No hotels nearby due to so many cancellations so we finally found a hotel 30 minutes away. Tried to get our bags but they didn't open until 5am and I am beat by this time so we rented a car and headed to the hotel to get some shut eye.

Drove back to JFK around 2pm and checked in for the flight to Zurich. We were told our bags were expedited so there would be no problem with them. Went to talk to the gate agent and she had upgraded us to Business Class. Now we were on vacation!!!

As we were sitting in our seats awaiting takeoff I decided to use the Delta app to track our bags. My wife and I each had one for clothes and I had a separate bag with all my feeding tube stuff (food, bags, tape, etc). The app showed 1 bag on the plane and no status on the other two. Which bag is it? I hope it is my wife's clothes/makeup/hair dryer etc!!! Life would be so much easier then :)

We arrive in Zurich early morning and found our cruise rep waiting to transport us to the ship in Basel (an hour drive). The one bag of course is my clothes :-(. Filed a claim and headed off to the ship. Nothing going to spoil this vacation.

We leave Basel and cruise to Strasbourg over night. We have talked to many people about the missing bags and the latest this morning was that they were in London.

Headed out on a winery excursion at 1pm expecting we would never see the missing bags until the cruise ended. Get back to the ship at 5pm and staff checking us in told us there was a surprise in the room. Wahoo, missing bags are in the room.

Happy Wife, Happy Life!!! Hopefully the rest of the cruise will have a lot less drama!

To be continued

An auspicious and incredibly complicated start to what I hope will be smooth sailing moving forward. Enjoy! I would love to see some pictures!

wow I think for PALS totally dependant on peg it would be wise to have a small kit and some feeding supplies in every bag!

Oh your wife may need to do that with her important things :lol:

keep the stories coming, but spend most of your time ENJOYING!!!

Bruce, Thanks for sharing. I'm excited to hear more about your trip!

Bruce, I hope you & your wife have a great time crushing. Sounds like you guys are " pros"

Thank you for sharing your adventure with us. It is great to read about it.

So very glad your luggage was reunited with you. I have traveled enough to know that luggage sometimes does not make it on the same plane as the passenger.

Steve

We are in Mannheim today. Haven't been here in 37 years.

Doing what I do best. German Beer. :).

Attachments

• IMG_0530_zpsruwmywno.jpg
    IMG_0530_zpsruwmywno.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0532_zpsguharglg.jpg
    IMG_0532_zpsguharglg.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 239
Good to hear about your adventure Bruce, have a great trip.
Al

Impressive, indeed. Happy trails ! !

View from front of the ship. Rudesheim Germany

Glad you're having a great time. You're both looking great!

Thank you Bruce for sharing your trip with us, I've really enjoyed your pictures and stories. I hope you and your wife have a wonderful time. Kate

Beautiful day on the Rhine. Took a cable car up and the view is very nice. Had beer (recurring theme) :)

Today we cruised for about 4 hours through a gorge that had lots of small pockets of civilization. High hills on each side and MANY castles. Some of these were on opposing sides of the Rhine. Hope they were friendly neighbors back then because it was only a 100 yards across the Rhine. Tonight we are in Koblenz. Here is one of the typical castles.

Stay tuned

Bruce

so fantastic, thank you for sharing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back