Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
OK
City
Cleveland
I have spoken many times of what a wonderful man my PALS is. Today our small town came together to in support of my PALS. Here is the story that was written by one of his friends that writes for the local newspaper. The young people who were serving were a wonderful show of humanity as was all of the support!

$9,300!!!
Today was one of those days when you witness things that elevate your faith in humanity even more. The pancake breakfast to benefit Clifford L. Hewitt brought in approximately $9,300, counting advance donations and a partial match from our generous Hebron Lodge in Cleveland. Not a typo, folks -- $9,300! You made this happen!
We had standing-room only for hours during the breakfast from 7-11 am, and we had to go on a grocery run four times to keep up with the demand.
Before we even opened up at 7, an elderly woman walked up through the alleyway, knocked on the kitchen door, handed a volunteer a check, and went on her way. We saw the firefighters, police officers, paramedics, folks coming by before their shift at the bank and grocery store, teachers, business owners, Cliff's CHS classmates, plus friends who drove from Broken Arrow and Stillwater and other towns in between. Most of all, we saw people fellowshipping together in their hometown on a Saturday morning -- laughter, tears and full hearts.
According to one of the Masons, Cliff's benefit had the largest attendance for a pancake breakfast the lodge ever has hosted, times FOUR. In my mind, that is a testament not only to the wonderful, generous people in Cleveland, but also to the man Cliff is, kind and giving himself. There's a reason that many people showed up to support him.
Thank you for attending or donating ahead of time. You have helped a wonderfully kind and giving man, and you gave a swift kick in the crotch to ALS!
Thanks most of all to the Hebron Lodge for sponsoring and matching partial funds, but also to the sponsorship of the Mayberry Foundation and Western Heights Baptist Church! So many volunteers came together to cook and serve. It was a great day to celebrate love in a small town.
An added little story: The lodge also had a 50/50 raffle today at the door. The split was about $60 for the winner and $60 for the lodge. The winner was a man who doesn't know Cliff, but he was passing through town and saw the signs at the intersection advertising a pancake benefit. So he came to eat for a good cause. When he found out he won the raffle, one of the Masons drove to meet him and give him his winnings. The man asked who the benefit was for and why. And without hesitation, he donated that $60 right back to the Masons to give to Cliff.
Cleveland cares. We know that. But so do others.
And the random man passing through did something our friend Cliff probably would do if the tables were turned. Isn't it awesome when things just seem to just line up in all the most beautiful ways?
Thank you volunteers - so many to name! Thank you donors of every single dollar! Thank you, Hebron Lodge, time and time again, for providing opportunities for our community to come together and show love and kindness.

My husband and I are from Oklahoma, great people. We live in Arizona now but I see your post, glad your getting support from your town. Hugs.

That sounds very caring, a big ata boy to all. It is very heart warming to hear about events like that. People really care.
Al

Brilliant. Small towns care and help to give us hope.

How beautiful sooner!

I love how the story keeps circling back to what an amazing man your Cliff is.

Take that kick in the crotch ALS!

Thank you so much for sharing this with us Sooner. It made me smile and feel warm all over. What a testament to the kind of man your husband is and to the caring of your town. kate

Wow! what a wonderful and heart warming tribute for an awesome guy. Thanks for sharing, Made me smile and proud to also be from Cleveland. My mother's best friend went to the pancake breakfast. I am so very happy for you both. Its nice to be wonderful people who are so respected and loved. Its only a little town but the hearts there make it a very strong town.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful testament to both your husband and the communities he has touched--including the very special man passing through.

How heartwarming. I hope that Cliff feels all the love.

Becky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back