Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NC
City
Littleton
I know that several folks here took trips to the Grand Tetons last year, so I'm looking for suggestions. We plan to be in Jackson Hole in May to meet up with Matt's hunting buddy. He goes every year for the Boy Scouts Antler Auction, and Matt has always wanted to go. I figure if we are going to make that drive (from NC), we should see Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons while we are there.

Matt's not up to much activity, so most of the trip needs to be driving or short trips in the chair. Any suggestions?

I'm not looking forward to the drive, but perhaps with the larger van we'll be able to get more than six hours in each day!

Becky
Queen of Crazy

The Tetons and Yellowstone are wonderful places to visit.

There are too many things to see and do to cover them all even on a long trip.

May is early there, and there will still be snow on the ground and trail closures. There is the possibility for weather-related road closures, but those will be brief.

In the Tetons:
  1. The Jenny Lake Boat ride will get him and the wheelchair onto the boat. I have not done this one yet (just too many other things to do), but have talked to the staff in person about doing it (while I was sitting in my wheelchair, so they knew what they would be dealing with).
  2. The bike path from Moose Junction to Jenny lake is wonderful. I like it most going from south to north.
  3. I have taken my wheelchair along the river road, which is a dirt road with lots of cobbles that makes for a very rough ride. I enjoyed it, but it beat me up a lot
  4. Don't miss Ox Bow bend for great views of the Tetons. Sunrise is wonderful, but it is great any time of the day.
  5. We enjoy picnic lunches in the park with all the wonderful views of the Tetons.
  6. The main wheelchair accessible dirt trail is closed for construction this year:(.
  7. There is wonderful wildlife watching.
  8. The view from Signal Mountain is great. I have see golden eagles from there, which is always special.

In Yellowstone:
  1. The boardwalks around the Upper Geyser Basin could keep me entertained full time for weeks on end.
  2. The boardwalks a trails at Norris Geyser Basin are also amazing
  3. The Biscuit Basin boardwalk is much shorter, but very much worth doing. Unfortunately, the trail out the back side of it will be closed that time of year.
  4. I enjoy the Mud Volcano boardwalks/trails, but they are a bit steep. My chair does great on them.
  5. The Mammoth Hot Springs boardwalks are pretty limited for a wheelchair. Mammoth is beautiful and the sidewalks through the old buildings is worth doing.
  6. Wildlife watching is AMAZING!
  7. Don't miss the Lamar valley, preferably early morning or late evening for wildlife.
  8. Don't miss the Hayden valley, preferably early morning or late evening for wildlife.
  9. Be sure to check out the area between Lake and 9 Mile trailhead for Grizzly bears, especially one known as Raspberry
  10. I enjoy spending time in the Old Faithful Inn. A very pleasant place.
  11. Watching Old Faithful erupt from inside the Old Faithful Lodge is very nice on a snowy day.
  12. Go out of your way to see Beehive geyser erupting
  13. Go out of your way to see Grand Geyser erupting
  14. There are many, many more things to do there. The most wheelchair friendly backcountry trails will be closed. But you can still find much to do.

We will be there in late May and early June.

Hey Becky& Matt, as you know I went out there early sept.
All that Steve mentioned is good stuff. As he said though there is so much to do.
My brother and I stayed at Jackson lodge just north of Jackson hole but just south of Yellowstone this way we could go either way. The view from Jackson lodge is amazing and they have a Hugh viewing lobby with great places to sit and enjoy both the view and the many different people. It also has a bar and two resyturents with good food. My friend is general manager and vp of the place his name is Alex Kline and a most generous person. That lobby was a great place for my brother and I to sit and talk and enjoy the atmosphere when I was tired from the day's outings. If you happen to choice to stay there ask for Alex and tell him you are a friend of mine with ALS.
He will accommodate you in the best way.
My new SAH room is filled with photos of my trip there!
Love that place! Not so much Jackson hole but the Tetons& Yellowstone are tops. Have fun! Good to have adventure planned. Love ya Chally

Steve and Chally, thank you! This is exactly what I needed.

Since the main focus of the trip is the antler auction with Matt's buddy, we won't have nearly enough time to see more than a very little of the parks, but you have given me the right directions to take with limited time and access. I'm planning to make this trip with just the Permobile so that we can travel comfortably in the van and not have to tow anything, and the bumps are really beating Matt up these days, so the boardwalks and lodge views sound perfect.

Chally, if we make it to Jackson Lodge we will absolutely contact Alex!

I had no idea how massive those parks are until I started looking for this trip. I could spend months there...

Again, thank you so much

Becky
Queen of the Road

Yellowstone is my husband's favorite place in all the world. Steve really could give wheelchair tours there--he knows ALL the spots!

If wildlife watching is on your list the only thing I might add is a custom day trip with a Yellowstone Association naturalist. My husband wanted to go wildlife watching and no one knows where to find the wildlife better than the naturalists who are studying them. Our guide drove the van and took us to the places where various species were known to be spotted frequently. And because she was in close contact with others, they would let her know if anything was out and about. He got to see so much more than he'd hoped for--his favorite being the alpha female wolf and a young male bringing a fresh kill back to the den. (They also set up spotting scopes or we'd have never had that remarkable moment.)

You're going to have an amazing trip!!!

Haven't been but hope you have a WONDERFUL time!

Two things I want to mention ; one is if you can have dinner at the Blue Lion - great restaurant and the best rack of lamb I have ever had and second be sure that you get your free pass for being disabled. Vicky asked about it and I got a free lifetime pass to any national park.

Well, it's sounding like I may have to return to the Grand Tetons another time for the tours. Apparently there are lots of things for taxidermists and their friends to do at antler auctions, and we are considering going on to California since we will be closer than Matt will ever get again. He'd like to see my family, and not all of them will make it out here. Mom is definitely not up to coming back for a visit. We'll have to play it by ear and see if he is up to the additional miles. My fingers are crossed. Mom is suffering dementia and I'd really love to see her now.

Becky,

You never cease to amaze me. I'm hoping that you'll get to see your mom and that Matt will have a good trip.

Becky, My finger, toes and eyes are crossed for you. I admire both you and Matt so much. You deserve this time so I am going to take time each day to HOPE for you.

Becky, what a woman you are!

And what a man Matt is. We sure want photos!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back