05/2015
Country
US
State
California
City
Long Beach
OK.

It's been running for a month or so. Tuning the little things, with my son usually turning the wrenches.

I think my son gets tired of my OCD with timing, the shifter gate, and carb adjustments.

20160305_162129_zpsgaonanmd.jpg

20160119_160958_zpshbsq9acv.jpg

20160119_160946_zpsoloouru3.jpg

20160305_162257_zpsjwcnr6bc.jpg

The paint is still reasonable at 20 feet. We added baby moons to the rally wheels for looks.

We have changed back to normal seat belts and cleaned up a few things. The power steering upgrade with the smaller steering wheel that has a fatter grip has been awesome. A recent interior addition is an 8-ball shifter knob, one that is larger than the stock knob in the photos (and much easier for me to grip). I need to work out a key twist assist tool. looking at some custom seats today, some with head rests and bolsters.

The photo below is from a few days after we picked it up, a mishap while idling in the driveway after a test run. My son was in panic mode, but added a few hose clamps and we were good to go.
20160103_173721_zpsig2z6dbh.jpg

I figure I'll keep on driving :lol: till I can't.

I am working on trying to wear out the rear tires (don't tell Alana).

Mods, if I should move this stuff to stories of hope, let me know (forum protocol and all)?

Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!! I'M so freakin jealous...

I hope you go through many sets of rear tires ;-)

Thanks for the move. I should probably offer some background. Brad asked for some photos of the project.

The car was sitting in the garage for a few years. I have owned it for nearly thirty years. My wife, Alana, and I used to take it for drives up the coast. When the children were small I would fit a baby seat and take them to get doughnuts on Saturday mornings.

It sat dormant as kids took up time and funding. Then I had the diagnosis last year. My son "discovered" it under the cover and was bugging me to push it out. The original plan was to get the kids out of high school, and then I could spend retirement time with it as a project. The diagnosis pushed the retirement project from ten years out, to now.

The original engine had a knock, why I parked it. I had a spare engine I had worked on years before, but never finished. It is the engine in it now. We are about six months into working on it, with more to go.

My hands and fingers do not work so well, so work needing fine dexterity or strength has to be done by my son (who is 14). It has become a team project, where sometimes I just lay on the ground and point at what I need done.

Wowee I wish you many sets of tyres too!

COOLNESS......I don't think I would even fit in it. It's hard enuff getting in to my 1994, which only has 2100 original miles on it.

Attachments

• 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 139
COOLNESS......I don't think I would even fit in it. It's hard enuff getting in to my 1994, which only has 2100 original miles on it.

So cool. I hope you get to exercise the 94'.

The dream ride was a kit to put a later C4 chassis under a C2 body. The handling and comfort of that modern go-kart under the old school looks.

So cool. I hope you get to exercise the 94'.

The dream ride was a kit to put a later C4 chassis under a C2 body. The handling and comfort of that modern go-kart under the old school looks.

Yup....I git her outa storage early march and cruze around town. I have had it for four years and bought it from an estate auction with only 867 miles on it.

I had a 1982 vette back in the day, but ended up getting bit by the "custom motorcycling bug". I ended up selling it to fund a build I wanted more than that vette. I have kicked myself in the a$$ many times for letting my 82 go.

Sorry for hijakin your thread Ed. But will post pics of one of the choppers I built and rode for a couple of years. It won many bikeshows.

Attachments

• DSCF0017.JPG
    DSCF0017.JPG
    473.4 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCF0016.JPG
    DSCF0016.JPG
    465 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCF0019.JPG
    DSCF0019.JPG
    457.8 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCF0034.JPG
    DSCF0034.JPG
    461.9 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCF0060.JPG
    DSCF0060.JPG
    467.8 KB · Views: 139
Thanks for sharing your pics guys. They are so cool.

I love seeing stories like this. They are just so inspirational!

Great looking car. Thanks for the photos.

Steve

Thanks for posting the photos guys! Great cars and bikes.

V

At the opposite end of the spectrum from your wonderful corvette is my favorite vehicle.

We bought a 1987 Toyota Land Cruiser new and owned it for 27 years. It had a 4.2 liter V6 that put out 135 horsepower. Kind of wimpy for a 5,000 pound vehicle. But, it had enormous torque on the low end and would go just about anywhere.

There were numerous occasions in the backcountry that I asked my wife to get out and walk past a section of road that was treacherous enough to raise concerns of rolling over.

It always got us there and got us home:)

It was the last Land Cruiser model available in the US that was not intended as a luxury vehicle. It did not have power locks, power windows, electric seats, etc. It also has a manual transmission.

As I lost my ability to drive a standard transmission we made the difficult decision to let her go. She went to a good home. The new owner periodically sends me pictures of what he had done to her (all good) and has a standing offer for me to come visit her whenever I want.

It is kind of weird, but normal, for us to get emotionally attached to our vehicles.

Attachments

• IMG_4519.JPG
    IMG_4519.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0674.JPG
    IMG_0674.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0570.JPG
    IMG_0570.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 142
I enjoy the custom bikes and 4x4 photos. Projects keep us going.

Thanks for sharing all the great photos. :eek:)
We have an Electra Glide which has allowed us many beautiful rides. Unfortunately I
am not able to get on it any longer. I am hoping for a sidecar! ;o)

We have an Electra Glide which has allowed us many beautiful rides. Unfortunately I

Motorcycles have been a passion since I was about ten. I have always wanted to ride up your way, the UP and over to the finger lakes. My friends who grew up there say the green can be overwhelming in spring and summer.

I have a Road Glide for sale. I can still balance it, but the fingers do not want to pull in the clutch with any reliability. It's too heavy for my son, he does not have the experience to balance a big bike at low speed. Alana does not ride anything bigger than an 80cc trailbike, otherwise a sidecar could be an option, so the big bike has to go. I hope you can work something out.

I have new seats to go in the Sting Ray. They are modern seats and the tracks can be mounted so Alana can scoot forward to more easily work the clutch and throttle. They also have head rests and cloth centers for comfort. The cost was about the same as having the original seats redone with correct foam and covers, but more comfort and bolsters to hold a person tight. These new seats would have never fit with a stock 16 inch steering wheel, but have room with the small wheel and power steering. I'll have to add photos as we get along with the project.

Thanks for the encouraging words, and peek into other projects.

You should see if you could get on an HD trike, they are readily available at the dealerships.

You could have your HD converted to a trike for about 10K. Motortrike offers a newer kit for them. It has an adjustable air-ride, which could be lowered by the push of a button and then just adjust it where you want after mounting it. This is the same kit I have on My Triumph Rocket 3 Trike.

If you can still work with your hands and are a bit mechanical minded, you can get a Kit from American trike that could be installed by you for about 6K. I used this kit 3 years ago when I started losing my balance, and was experiencing leg weakness. This is a bolt on kit made for HD touring bikes specifically.

I could post some pics of my installation, and trikes if you are interested. I still ride my trikes every week and went on a 125 mile ride with the motorcycle club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back