Diagnosis
07/2014
Country
US
State
CO
City
Vail
As I had posted in another thread, Wednesday was my first day of skiing this season. It was wonderful.

I took the X4 four wheel drive wheelchair to the bus stop, loaded it onto the bus, and rode the bus downtown where I unloaded. Loading and unloading were exciting, as the X4 has a turning radius of 52 inches. Try that inside a crowded bus! Nobody was hurt by my antics;), though..

My wife joined me there (she took a later bus) and we walked/wheeled from the Vail transportation center to the Golden Peak base area, where the adaptive ski program is located.

We checked in with the adaptive ski program and everything was all set for us. Jim and Amanda (same instructors we used last season) took us to the shed where the adaptive equipment is located and fitted me into a new biski! It was great. It is the same model as I used last season, but is new, in better shape, and has a much more comfortable seat with a bit more trunk support.

It took about an hour to get me fitted. I then transferred to my X4 and rode it up a ramp to the snow where I transferred back into the waiting biski.

We left my wife there, as she is banned from skiing for another month due to her broken wrist. Jim, Amanda, and I boarded the RivaBahn lift and we were off.

We had a blast. How can I describe how wonderful it was. They are great folks and very capable adaptive ski instructors. We skied Ramshorn (blue), Avanti (black) Pickaroon (black), Berries (black), Lodgepole (blue) columbine (blue), and Picaroon and Columbine again. We made our way down the mountain on the top part of International (black) and then Beartree (blue).

We skied fast. Very Fast;). Certainly faster than most casual recreational skiers. Next time I will have to remember to turn on my phone's tracking program and see just what our maximum speed is.

It was relatively warm (about freezing) with a bit of overcast. The lighting was flat which made it harder to see bumps in the snow, though.

The views were amazing, as always. I never tire of mountain scenery and am particularly fond of the views from the Vail ski area. I have so many great memories on that mountain.

One exhilarating moment was on Lodgepole. A road crosses that run and on the downhill side of the road is a drop. On real skies I have caught pretty big air coming off that road many times. I lined up the biski anticipating that we would not get any air. But, we got quite a bit. It was a magical moment. The new biski landed the jump perfectly, with the shock absorber really taking up the hit for me. I was ready to do it a dozen more times. Jim suggested we should not do that again, because he has seen a biski explode when landing a jump like that.

I guess no exploding biskis for me:(.

Jim and Amanda took a few pictures for me, but I don't have them yet. I will add them to this thread when they arrive.

It was a great morning of skiing and I really look forward to the next outing. We went for a half day, which turned out to be about 2 hours of time actually on the mountain. It really wore me out. I spent all day yesterday recovering.

I can tell that I am weaker than when I last skied at the end of last season. I knew I was and was not disappointed by my observation. However, it was a reality check that this stuff really does progress.

I am really looking forward to the next outing. Perhaps next time we will go faster and do more runs:)

Steve

Steve you are such an inspiration. I wish I had half the energy and drive you have. Thanks for letting us live vicariously through you! I hope you have many more adventures in your future.

Vince

Steve that is so cool! Looking forward to the photos. I'll second what Vince says and agree that you are an inspiration. But I have to add a note to Vince --you are an inspiration too. You went thru hell with that hospital experience and here you are encouraging others.

Oh how wonderful to hear the details!

Can't wait for the photos :)

Wow Steve, I am SO JEALOUS!

I was a keen skier before ALS and now have to be content with photos & videos of my family's annual skiing trips :(
I'd have to fly to a ski resort, which is beyond me now.
Just loved your story and grateful the biski didn't explode :)

Keep on enjoying.

How wonderful, Steve! You are truely and inspiration!

When Matt and I look out over the lake we realize that we are extremely fortunate for people dealing with ALS. Having driven through your part of the country this past Fall and reading your posts I know that you are also. I love the gusto with which your pursue life. The X4 is an amazing story--how many are reclaimed that way and give so much pleasure?

Yeah, no exploding biski, please. Exhausting yourself is one thing, injury is quite another!

Becky

Glad you went Steve! It sounds amazing! So nice to see you out and about doing the things you love. Do they have a tandem biski? I was thinking you could give your wife a ride:)

Wow! Thanks Steve for sharing. These posts always give me a lift!

Steve......Once again you are "Da MAN"! That is so cool that you get to enjoy something you obviously love.
We have had more snow this season, than in the previous 10 years. I don't ski because I don't like to get real cold. I seem to break enuff bones without getting frozen.
I did take my trike out yesterday for a short ride, my testicals :shock::shock: are still hiding, hope they drop soon! It was so cold!

Steve, you rock dude!

Congrats on the great time and can't wait for the pics.

Steve,
I am so happy to read this post. You are a true inspiration and are very brave I must say to try a new way of doing things. I would have been scared too death. But, I bet it was a blast. Can't wait to see the pics. Thank you for keeping a positive attitude with dealing with this monster. My dad always concentrated on what he could do and not what he couldn't. It was how he got through each day. God bless you !

Steve as others have said you are a true inspiration. I also have to say you rock. I love reading posts and knowing that PALS are living life to the fullest and are excited about the journey ahead. One more strike against ALS. I could not be happier. Thank you for sharing this with us and cant wait to see some pics. I love Vail!

You certainly don't let ALS stop you from having fun. I admire your adventurous spirit.
Charlene

That is so awesome!

Great adventure Steve, I totally miss snowboarding and kayaking both of which I did to the extreme. I am a big adrenalin junkie. Just have to be happy with the fact that I did it and now there are new chalanges. Thanks chally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back