CNN's Suzanne Malveaux's report on her mother with ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.
@canmark:

Thanks so much for sharing this with the rest of us.
It's a very moving story of courage and will to live.

I liked these paragraphs specially:

When she began choking on her food, losing her ability to swallow, she got a feeding tube.
When she lost her ability to walk, she got a motorized wheelchair.
When she could no longer speak, she picked up a word board and started spelling out her conversations, still telling my father what to do.
And finally when she lost her ability to breathe, she got a tracheotomy and ventilator to stay alive.

I always say there is life after diagnosis if you are willing to fight for it.

Thank you from the heart for sharing this story.

it's amazing Carlos aint it?

For me, as i love eating and a lot protein shakes and everything... i dont doubt i will be happy to get a PEG..

I used to weight 160lb of all muscle.. ripped at my best.. now i'm 136lb as my throat problems... I need protein shakes.. i would like being a fatman..if cannot become muscular as before...

Speaking problems for me are not that scary.. i believe... i work in a place where i pass 9 hours withouth talking with anybody just dealing with my mind (which sometimes mades me thing that als is a result of brain chages... when you are not using what part of your body.. anothr part becomes more effective...

I do afraid of track .. don't know how it feels to have a machine breathing with you...

Anyway Great series..
Hope more and more people get to the knews and aware as much about the disease... ITS OUR TIME!

I feel the same way, Carlos. I have a PEG tube, a PWC, and An eye gaze computer. while I'm not looking forward to the trach and vent, I'm not afraid of it. I was Afraid of being bedridden until i found out they are portable. That is just one more thing i have to deal with soon, But my life is by no means over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back