Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Moseley
When I first received my diagnosis last year I was determined not to give up hope & was determined to return to a normal life. My wife immediately wanted me to hold a fire sale and rid myself of motorcycles & boats that I was no longer able to use. I refused to sell them as they were always a source of hope for me……..each day that I looked at them they gave me the resolve to think that one day I would be better and be able to enjoy my hobbies once again. Sadly yesterday I sold the sail boat, today I’m feeling a bit defeated. It did take a bit out of me as I watched the boat disappear up the driveway knowing that I would never sail her again.

Conversely my wife is a little happier today as she did get a little more room in the driveway & we do have a little more money to put towards the bathroom project, I’m going to keep the motorcycles for a while longer though I’m still hopeful that one day I’ll get out of this wheelchair and throw a leg across & ride off into the sunset. Got to have your dreams

I hope you can, one day, throw a leg across your bike and ride it off into the sunset. Who knows?! Take care. Yasmin

after attending the national als advocacy conference in dc i came away with lots of home, best statement uttered in the conference by a researcher, i believe IN FIVE YEARS WE WILL HAVE A CURE FOR ALS. just hang on to that hope. i am keeping my motorhome for a longer period of time as like you i continue to hope

Hope is our best friend. I need to sell my boat, but did with help get to voyage with her, and hope to do it again as son puts me on and off, but it is a motorboat. No more ATV's though.......:-(, maybe if you put me on motorcycle as passenger (if arms are still strong enough) that is the way I saw all the neuro on other island, on the back of my son's motorcycle....and the RV stays as it is my apt for now and when I can't get in it, guess son will have to carry me into it as well, love that guy!...:), I believe in Miracles and always will.

It's sad to lose what we think defines us, bit by bit... but you are strong, and hope is always here and present. Maybe you can't ride your motorcycle right now, but get a sidecar and go as a passenger?

I'm sorry about your boat, but as Pearshoot said the answer is around the corner. Keep your dreams alive.
Laurel

My husband just sold his motercycle last weekend. sad sad sad.....but hes getting a scooter to play around the yard with which he can use now and he couldnt use the motercycle so it will be okey. I hope.

Keep on dreaming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back